Last Updated on
ChatGPT is a multifaceted AI chatbot that excels in automating various tasks, from generating content and writing codes to answering inquiries. Meanwhile, Microsoft Excel is a powerful office tool that enables users to structure, format, and compute data on a spreadsheet.
By leveraging the ChatGPT API, users can seamlessly integrate the chatbot with Excel, unlocking many benefits such as streamlined data retrieval, efficient organization, responsive editing, and more.
Here’s how you can do that.
Essential AI Tools
Originality AI detector
Setting ChatGPT Up in MS Excel
To set up ChatGPT on Microsoft Excel, follow these steps:
Acquiring your API key
- Access the ChatGPT API Key homepage through the provided link.
- Log in or create a new account using your email address.
- Click the “Personal” option in the top-right corner.
- Choose “View API Key” and generate your key by selecting “Create new secret key.”
Opening your Excel workbook
- Select the “Developer” option in the top section of the workbook.
- Click “Record Macro” under the “Store Macro” option.
- In the drop-down field, choose “Personal Macro Workbook.”
- You can now stop recording.
- First, open the Visual Basic Editor, which can be found in the left corner, and select the “personal.xlsb” section
- Once the section is open, go to “model” and click on “Module 1”
- Now, you need to add the VBA Code you can obtain by visiting the link. Copy the code and paste it into Module 1
- In the VBA Code, you will find the “API KEY” section at the top, which you must replace with the “API Key code” you generated earlier.
Adding Macros to the toolbar
- To assign the macro to the Quick Access toolbar, click the arrow key in the top-left corner of Excel.
- Then, select “More Commands” and choose the macro option from the new window.
- Add the Personal workbook to your Quick Access Bar by selecting <Separator>.
- Additionally, you can customize the button icon to make it easily identifiable.
- Finally, click “Ok” to complete the process.
Saving VBA Code into Excel
- When you close the workbook, a pop-up window will appear to ensure that the VBA code is saved for Excel files.
- Click on “Save” to confirm. Next, open a new spreadsheet in Excel and input your prompt into a cell.
- After selecting that cell, run the VBA code from the Quick Access toolbar.
- The response from the AI Chatbot ChatGPT will then appear in a new worksheet.
By integrating ChatGPT into Microsoft Excel, users can streamline their workflow and effortlessly generate data and information without the hassle of constantly switching between different tabs.
Users need to obtain an API Key and VBA code to enable integration. Following the step-by-step guide above, users can seamlessly integrate ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel and enjoy its benefits.