tvOS 15 release date is today, it also drops at the same time as HomePod 15, iOS 15, and PasOS15, full details on times can be found here. Lagging behind the competition, Apple TV will soon be compatible with HomePod mini as a TV speaker alongside spatial auto and the following (SharePlay has unfortunately been delayed in favor of more development time)
tvOS 15 Features
- For All of You: Browse a new row in the Apple TV app to find something that everyone in the house can’t wait to watch.
- Shared with You: Movies and shows shared through Messages appear in a new row in the Apple TV app.
- Spatial Audio: Listen with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max for a theater-like experience with sound that surrounds you.
- Smart AirPods routing: Get an automatic onscreen notification to magically connect your AirPods.
- HomeKit camera enhancements: View multiple cameras around the house at the same time on your Apple TV.
- Room-filling stereo sound: Pair two HomePod mini speakers with Apple TV 4K and enjoy rich, balanced sound for everything you watch.
tvOS 15 - Compatible Apple TVs
Surprisingly, tvOS 15 will be compatible with a variety of Apple TVs dating back a number of years. The Apple TV HD (2015), Apple TV 4K (2016), and Apple TV 4K (2021) are all compatible with the tvOS 15 update.
How To Update Apple TV to tvOS 15
- On your Apple TV, go to the Settings icon
- Go to the System Menu
- Click Software Updates
- Follow the on-screen instructions, the update will be picked up by Apple TV when it releases
Don’t worry, it’s very straightforward to install tvOS 15 when it drops. Just follow these simple steps below:
Where To Buy Apple TV
- Apple TV 4K 64GB (Current Gen) @ Best Buy
- Apple TV 4K 32GB (Current Gen) @ Best Buy
- Apple TV HD 32GB (Current Gen) @ Best Buy
- Apple TV 4K 64GB (Last Gen) @ Best Buy
- Apple TV 4K 32GB (Last Gen) @ Best Buy
- All Apple TV models @ Amazon
tvOS is currently in open beta and has been since June 30, but it’s best to wait for the full release in just a few hours’ time.