Last Updated on
Since routers typically operate 24/7, they can easily become overheated or experience issues with their adapters.
In this article, we will discuss the factors contributing to overheating, such as continuous heavy usage, inadequate ventilation, environmental factors, and outdated hardware. We will also address the signs to look out for and measures you can take to prevent your router from experiencing thermal stress, ensuring its longevity and optimal performance.
Today's best modem deals!
ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600AC2 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Can A Router Overheat?
It is natural for electronic devices to heat up. But overheating any device, specifically a router, can be painful and risky too. A device such as an internet router, which remains turned on 24/7, can easily heat up or overheat.
Routers mostly overheat when they face rigorous environmental conditions or improper maintenance. Moreover, when overheated, a router may not work correctly or face a slow internet connection. A router may even explode or need a replacement if overheating is too long.
Signs of a Router Overheating
Below are a few signs of an overheating router:
- Connection issues with the router
- Slower internet browsing or downloading
- Noise from the router
- Issues with the ISP
How to Avoid Router Overheating
You can avoid router overheating by following the below tips:
- Update the firmware
- Keep the router in a cool and dry place
- Keep it away from any heat-generating electronic device
- Avoid placing anything above the router
- Keep it close or under a fan or an AC
Can A Router Catch Fire or Explode Due to Overheating?
Yes, it is possible that a router can catch fire or consequently explode due to overheating. For example, it may happen when a router is not in a cool and dry place or behind a curtain or a drape. The router can easily overheat and catch fire or even explode.
A router needs to remain cool and dry; otherwise, it may get overheated. If your router is far from your sight, it will likely get overheated quickly. Therefore, we recommend keeping it in the open to avoid any accidents, since routers can overheat.