Last Updated on
Latest: Since Apple’s ‘Far Out’ event on September 7, Apple has launched the iOS 16 release candidate (RC) as the final build before full release.
This means there’s no more iOS 16 public beta release dates, as once the iOS 16 Release Candidate goes live, iOS 16 is more or less with us in its full form.
iOS 16 Public Beta release history
- iOS 16 Beta 1 release date: June 6, 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 2 release date: June 22, 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 3 release date: July 6, 2022
- iOS 16 Public Beta release date: July 12, 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 4 release date: July 27, 2022
- iOS 16 Public Beta 2 release date: July 28 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 5 release date: August 8, 2022
- iOS 16 Public Beta 3 release date: August 9, 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 6 release date: August 15, 2022
- iOS 16 Public Beta 4 release date: August 16, 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 7 release date: August 23, 2022
- iOS 16 Public Beta 5 release date: August 25, 2022
- iOS 16 Beta 8 release date: August 29, 2022
- iOS 16 Public Beta 6 release date: August 26, 2022
- iOS 16 Release Candidate September 7, 2022
How to download the iOS 16 public beta
In beta form, software is still experimental, and not without kinks. Once beta transfers to release candidate the majority of issues will have been sorted.
The process to download the iOS 16 public beta or release candidate is pretty straightforward, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take care. Ensure you backup your iPhone before you do download new software.
And, if you’ve installed an iOS 16 beta, be sure to remove that profile before you install a new update.
Follow our guide on how to download and install the iOS 16 public beta. The process is the same for the Release Candidate, but you will need to ensure you download the Release Candidate file.
iOS 16 public beta iPhone compatibility
Public beta compatibility will be available for iPhone 8 models and later and so those models may gain access to iOS 16 on release. It’s suggested you may need an iPhone 11 to get the full feature set of iOS 16.
However, Apple has pointed out that the LiDAR (light detection and ranging) scanner, available on the iPhone 12 Pro, will be needed for Door Detection and People Detection features.
The same should be true for the iOS 16 Release candidate too.
iOS 16 release date
The iOS 16 full release date will be Monday September 12. This was confirmed by Apple, after its ‘Far Out’ event on September 7.
The final full release of iOS 16 will be available to some list of devices too – even going back to the iPhone 8.
Which iPhones aren’t getting iOS 16?
In a case of “if you’re not on the list you’re not coming in”, the phones that won’t be getting iOS 16 are any devices not listed below. However, as mentioned, devices before the iPhone 11 will likely miss out on the full featuress of iOS 16, as will those without LiDAR technology in their devices.
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 13i
- Phone 13 Mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)