Last Updated on
The process of setting up an operating system can be tailored to individual preferences, and this is especially true when it comes to Windows 11. While Microsoft recommends using a Microsoft account for the best experience, some users prefer bypassing this requirement. If you’re one of those who wants to know how to set up Windows 11 without a Microsoft account, you’ve come to the right place.
In this blog, we’ll explore the workarounds and steps to install Windows 11, removing the Microsoft account requirement, and ensuring you have the desktop experience you desire. Whether you’re using a Windows 11 ISO or other tools like Rufus, we’ll guide you through the process without the need for an online Microsoft account.
How to run Windows 11 with a local account?
Running Windows 11 without a Microsoft account may feel like a big task, but it is not. It is an easy process with simple steps. Here, we have mentioned the step-by-step approach to setting up Windows 11 without a Microsoft account (or with a local account).
- Follow the prompts on your screen until you reach the “Choose a country” option during the Windows 11 installation process.
- Upon reaching here, open the command prompt by using the shortcut Shift+F10.
- Type **net user /add username password** in the command prompt. Then, replace “username” with the username and password of your choice.
- Once you enter your credentials, close the command prompt and follow the installation process instructions.
- When you are asked to sign in, click on the “offline account” or “Create a local account” option.
- Continue to follow the prompts and instructions on the screen to set up a local account.
- Create a password for the local account you just created and answer security questions if applicable.
These steps will help you set up Windows 11 using a local account. This is preferred and recommended if you plan to sell your PC, lend it to a friend, or donate.
What are the benefits of running Windows 11 without a Microsoft account?
Running Windows 11 without a Microsoft account offers several advantages, particularly for those who prioritize privacy or want more control over their user experience.
Below are some key benefits:
Enhanced control over profile and username
Setting up Windows 11 with a local account allows you to have full control over your profile. Want to set your username as your favorite anime character? You can do that without any restrictions!
If privacy is a top priority for you, opting for a local account is the way to go. You can bypass Microsoft account requirements and adjust your privacy settings to suit your preferences.
No stable internet connection? No problem!
With a local account, you can work on your computer or laptop without needing an internet connection. This is an ideal option if you want to set up a virtual machine or if you don’t have an Ethernet cable handy.
Reduced notifications and syncing
If you prefer not to be bothered by Microsoft services, setting up Windows 11 with a local account can prevent notifications for app purchases and device settings syncing from appearing. This can create a more focused and less cluttered user experience.
Simplified installation process
Using a local account can simplify the installation process. You can create a bootable USB flash drive with the installation media, partition your drive as required, and follow the command prompts to set up Windows 11. This can be particularly useful for the Home Edition or if you need to bypass Windows requirements set by the manufacturer.
Box experience customization
With a local account, you can tailor the out-of-box experience (OOBE) to your liking. Whether you want to press shift to access specific features or customize account settings, a local account provides the flexibility to make Windows 11 truly your own.
Understanding how to set up Windows 11 without a Microsoft account offers flexibility and control over your computing experience. While Microsoft recommends using an account for a seamless experience, especially if you use multiple devices or Microsoft services, it’s not a requirement.
For those who prioritize privacy or prefer a more limited setup, a local account is a viable option. Whether you’re performing a clean installation, using a bootable USB drive, or adjusting the keyboard layout, the choice to remove the requirement for a Microsoft account is yours.
This decision ultimately depends on your personal preferences, needs, and how you plan to use your Windows 11 system. If you’re looking to download Windows 11 without the need for TPM or other specific info, following the command and steps outlined in this blog will guide you through the process.
Can I use Cortana after I have set up Windows 11 without a Microsoft account?
You can still use Cortana and other features available on your device. Setting up Windows 11 with a Microsoft account enhances user experience. The features available on your device can still work even if you have set up Windows 11 using a local account. However, some features will require a Microsoft account, but most of them work seamlessly.
Are there any cons of using Windows 11 without a Microsoft account?
There are some cons to using Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. These include:
- You won’t have access to Microsoft services like Microsoft Store, OneDrive, Microsoft 365, and Xbox without a Microsoft account.
- You won’t be able to sync settings across devices if you have set up Windows 11 using a local account. Having a Microsoft account makes it easier to switch between multiple devices.
- Resetting your password becomes difficult without a Microsoft account. If you ever forget your password, it will be a tough task to reset it.