Last Updated on
WhatsApp is the worlds leading messaging service, what differentiates it from other messaging apps is all of the features it is packed with. One of these handy features is being able to archive messages, this allows you to organize your chat list to only show WhatsApp chats in your inbox from key contacts that you want to message. This is handy as you don’t have to delete the chat and lose the chat history.
Archiving a chat will allow you to keep chats and group chats separate in an archived chat folder. This keeps them off of your main chat list to aid with organization. additionally, you won’t receive notifications from these chats so you won’t be disturbed. It’s also handy because when you archive a chat the chat history won’t be deleted, meaning that it can easily be restored when unarchived. This guide will show you how to archive and unarchive in WhatsApp so keep reading below.
How to archive a single chat in WhatsApp
If you want to archive a chat on your iOS or Android device then this can easily be done by completing the steps below.
Archive a chat
- Launch WhatsApp
- On the main screen select the chat you wish to archive.
- At the top of the screen, an archive icon will appear.
- Simply press the button to archive the chat.
How to archive multiple chats in WhatsApp
You can also select multiple chats to archive at once, this differs slightly for Android users and iPhone users.
Archive multiple chats on Android
- When on the main chat list screen hold down on the chats and group chats you want to archive.
- Press the archive button to archive the WhatsApp messages.
Archive multiple chats on iPhone
- When on the main chat list screen select edit in the top left-hand corner., this will make check boxes appear.
- Toggle the chats you wish to archive.
- Tap archive at the bottom of the screen.
- Then click done to return to the main screen.
- Alternatively, you can go to settings, then chats, and archive all chats.
How to unarchive a chat in WhatsApp.
You may have archived a chat in WhatsApp by accident or you are just ready to start receiving notifications from it again. Whatever the reason, below we will go over the ways to unarchive an archived chat for iPhone and Android.
Unarchiving a chat
- Open WhatsApp
- At the top of the chats tab, there is the archived chats section, open it
- When on the archived chats screen tap on the chat you wish to unarchive.
- You can then unarchive the message by either sending a new message to the contact or by pressing the unarchive icon at the top of the chat.
Archived messages are a handy way to organize your chats and remove less important ones from your main screen and prevent them from giving you notifications. Likewise, WhatsApp lets you unarchive a chat too, so once you’re ready to continue the conversation this can easily be done. With the steps outlined in this guide hopefully, you’ve learned how to archive and unarchive in WhatsApp. If you have completed these steps and are still cant archive and unarchive in WhatsApp then we suggest you contact WhatsApp support for further help.