If you’re running a Google Pixel handset or a vanilla version of Android (i.e. not the OEM version), then chances are you’ve seen the Android System Intelligence App install automatically from the Google Play Store. To start things off, it’s nothing to worry about. It’s actually quite a useful app that runs in the background, running various services and making your handset more accessible.
Android System Intelligence – What Is It?
Formally known as ‘Device Personalization Services’, Google uses Android System Intelligence to send updates to your handset for features like ‘Now Playing’, ‘Live Caption’, and other smart notifications. You probably never knew it existed until seeing the install around September 9th. This is due to a re-brand of the old Device Personalization Services logo and name to Android System Intelligence
Android System Intelligence – Why Do We Need It?
Android System Intelligence looks after more smart functions on your Google Pixel device than you might think. The notification that allows you to pause and play current tracks from your music streaming service, even from your lock screen? You have Android System Intelligence to thank for that. Here are some other tasks it takes care of:
- Contextual Notification Responses – Those automatically generated responses you can reply to messages with in your notifications bar? Yep, Android System Intelligence.
- Automatic Subtitles – This feature automatically provides subtitles from your phones audio.
- Screen On Whilst Viewing – The front camera is used to detect when you’re looking at the screen, and to keep it on whilst doing so
- Smart Clipboard – This is Android System Intelligence making sure your last copied item is on-hand whenever you need it
- Automatic Text Selection – You wouldn’t like copying and pasting text without it. Copying a phone number then being given an option to call it is a good example, or offering Google Maps when copying addresses
- Application Prediction – This allows the Pixel/Android launcher to predict and offer the apps you’ll be needing at any given time
Android System Intelligence Bugs And Errors
Whilst Android System Intelligence behaves quite well on public Android 11 builds, there have been some reports of Android System Intelligence crashing on Android 12 beta builds. Unfortunately, this is to be expected on Beta builds, even stable releases. Make sure to report the issue in the Android Beta Feedback App (You should have this if you are running the Android 12 Beta) and restart Android System Intelligence, which should happen automatically.
For all the latest on Android, make sure to bookmark and keep an eye on our Android Hub