Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: WIN 98 START toolbar not available

Question WIN 98 START toolbar not available

When clicking the START button, nothing happens. I am guessing that someone has deleted a file, but have been unsuccessful at finding it. I have reloaded WINDOWS, but that did not fix the problem. Something else is happening as well, when you click on an icon on the desktop, the view is in symbols, and if you change the view to WEBPAGE view then back to normal view, you can see your system files, etc. in windows explorer. Any suggestions? I know I am just overlooking something!

Lightbulb

Evidently the explorer.exe is corupted, try running the system file checker ( sfc ) utility to extract another one from the 98 install cd.

if this doesn't work, yo may have a coruppted 98 CD, so you can get a copy of the explorer.exe from a known working system.

Did you do a clean install? If not-then this may be the action of a Virus and by just reinstalling all you did was reinfect the system file. If this person doesn't have a antivirus program, you can get AVG for free and create a rescue disk-which you can use on their system to scan for virii.

If there are no infections, then i would suggest a clean wipe of the harddrive, then do a fresh window's install.

------------------
    iisbob

Computer-Show me the Enterprise; no bloody A, no bloody B, and no bloody C-just the original...Mr Scott { from a STNG episode }
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

Welcome TechTeacher. Is the whole taskbar normal and visible; is it just the start button that doesnt respond? Certainly a virus scan (as iisbob suggested) should be done. The desktop icons can sometimes be restored by booting into safe mode and rebooting normally. You could also try to Restore Your Icons using a program from M$ called TWEAKUI which works with all versions of windows. Once it is running; go to ControlPanel and bring it up; click on the "Repair" Tab and select "Repair Icons" then click "Repair Now".

------------------
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul
    "For a Pandora's box upgrade to IE6 (IEsicks that is)"
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks! Yes, the Start displays and the clock, just no response. I had already scanned for virus, but it did not have a virus. Will try the Safe Mode and Power Toys.
    Originally posted by Paul Komski:
    Welcome TechTeacher. Is the whole taskbar normal and visible; is it just the start button that doesnt respond? Certainly a virus scan (as iisbob suggested) should be done. The desktop icons can sometimes be restored by booting into safe mode and rebooting normally. You could also try to Restore Your Icons using a program from M$ called TWEAKUI which works with all versions of windows. Once it is running; go to ControlPanel and bring it up; click on the "Repair" Tab and select "Repair Icons" then click "Repair Now".

Lucky you, i have been trying to get rid of mine and you want to make yours work, damn wish i could get mine to do what yours is doing. I have no use for my startmenu, i have nothing in it past programs, they are all in quicklaunch bars that are bunch together to cause menus

Thread Information