Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Keyboard won'T Function

Unhappy Keyboard won'T Function

The keyboard of my computer doesn't work anymore. The keyboard was working coz I've tried it on another CPU and I tried other keyboards on my CPU. The technician who looked into my cpu said that the capacitor might be damaged. What shall I do? Can the motherboard still be fixed?

CPU = CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT...... As in the Processor. I think your getting muddled up.
    -----
    Wheres the power switch again??

STUPID

GOD! Who's this so stupid..The processor is part of the CPU... Not the CPU. GOD!!!Where did you come from? NEver never land?

Abbreviations clarified...

...Here

Just type the abb. into the search pane.

I think you meant to say tower, desktop or pc.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#1. CPU==== Central Processing Unit

#2. to some people it means Case Protection Unit

#1 is actually correct

Canadiangal59 there is no need for calling people stupid or calling them names at all.. we are here to help with problems NOT
    to teach you the proper names for parts of your PC. If this is not acceptable for you then maybe YAHOO OR MSN boards are the place for you... PLS. refrain from name calling..
    Want my weapons molon labe

Thumbs up

Well-said YODA74

About the original problem.... are you saying other keyboards work on your computer and your keyboard works on other computers??? If this is true, the simplest solution would be to swap keyboards or simply get a new one for your computer, they are pretty cheap these days.

If you are saying your that no keyboard works on your computer, that may be a bad PS/2 port and that would probably require either installing a card in an empty slot that will provide another PS/2 port or using a keyboard with a USB connector.

Please clarify and we can give suggestions. It might also be helpful to provide more details about your computer since all solutions may not work on all computers.
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Canadiangal59, name calling and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

And yes ActiveTechster is 100% correct. The tower is not the CPU, Yoda spelled it out quite well.

In any case if the tech said the capacitor was fried, it is likey you need to go motherboard shopping.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Keyboard

Other keyboards don't function on my computer. Thanks..it might be a bad port. But is there a keyboard with a direct USB connector or do I have to buy a USB to serial adaptor?

Thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry if I have said some unpleasant things.

I also noticed that the capacitor on the motherboard is abit blown up. Can this be replaced or can this solve the problem?

Yes - there are USB Keboards - but if your capacitor/mobo is a bit "blown up" there are no guarantees.

"Wet" capacitors blow-out through a vent if they happen to get too dry. Replacing them depends on handy you are at soldering.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Cool Canadienne gal,

are you braving the elements aux Canada or basking in the sunshine of the Philippines?

Either way I apologize for the lack of proper welcome to ! Taken a step at a time we can resolve this. (I will excuse the prior comments to frustration and the time of month... ) Breathe, relax, we're here to help.

What do you have for a system? Maybe a report from a very small utility like Belarc Advisor could provide us something to go on (use it on what you are typing on to access this help site...). But apparantly it's 'fried' until the culprit is repaired. As is, you will need to manually enter what you have for a (problem) motherboard and any of the other things connected to same.

You seem to have an ability to test each component on other 'machines'. With 'smoke' (or blown up capacitors and 'mirrors' ) involved, your mobo (use my original link) and CPU are likely 'toast' (use dictionary.com) sorry. Methodically try each component until something is astray.

A capacitor is anything from an innocent tiny little part to an important MAJOR component in an electronic circuit. Again, use my link.

Please don't cuss me out for tryin' to help, it's not my day job.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I'm a little unclear, Canadiangal, as to whether your computer will actually boot.

Does it boot normally to Windows with everything working except the keyboard. If so, then a USB keyboard might work fine.

If it's not booting - then the problem is more serious. Let us know.
    Sandman

The fact that there is obviously at least one capacitor that has exploded combined with what you have stated in your other thread about smoke and the power supply.

My computer suddenlu shut down..When I tried to turn it on again, smoke came out of the CPU. Apparently some slots of the power supply was charred. The system wont open again but there is power on CPU..when opened.. But the screen is blank. Is this repairable???
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread...threadid=20622

I would consider this machine quite dead.

A USB keybaord will not do much good if there are other components that are severely damaged. From the description it seems like a power surge may have been the culprit. If that was indeed the case then there may not be any salvageable components, at least none that I would consider trustworthy.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

2 computers

i have two computers.. on the other thread, I was referring to my other computer where there was smoke. On this thread, I'm referring for my computer which works and boots but the keyboard wont work.

Ouch, both dead?

Did this happen at the same or nearly the same time?

If so then it quite likely to be a power surge.

Ok, if this one does work except for the keyboard, you may be able to use a USB keyboard. A number of motherboards have USB keyboard support turned off in the BIOS, by default. This means that you will be able to use the keyboard in a USB aware OS like Windows but will not be able to use the USB keyboard in DOS or to access the BIOS.

Again, another option would be to install an expansion card with PS/2 support so that you can use your PS/2 keyboard. This would eliminate the problem associated with trying to use a USB keyboard. If you go here and enter the search "PS/2 Adapter", you will find some:

http://www.cyberguys.com/
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thread Information