Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: EM64T For 64bit CPU

EM64T For 64bit CPU

I have decided to use the 939 Socket with the AMD/FX 64 processor.
    The MB with the 939 socket will accept the ATHLON processor.
    Am I correct to say that this 64bit processor will beable to function also for the 32 bit architecture, and its applications which would be similar to Intel's
    EM64T technology?
    There is alittle confusion with the NX chip but as far as I know the AMD FX processor has this chip within the CPU??
    I am trying to build for the capability of upgrading with little or no glitchs when the new applications and OS systems become more available for the 64 bit processors.
    Thank you for your support>>

From what I have read both the AMD and Intel 64bit enabled chips will run 32 bit programs if a 32 bit OS is installed and will run 64 bit programs if a 64bit OS is installed as long as your chipset and system BIOS supports 64bit architecture. We may even be able to duel-boot 32 bit Win XP Pro and Win XP Pro 64 bit Edition. You will also need 64 bit device drivers for all of your hardware when running the 64 bit OS

If you want a free 360 day trial of Windows XP Pro 64 bit Edition go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/upgrade.mspx

The file name is "w2k3sp1_1218_usa_x64fre_pro.iso" (this may be a stripped down version of Windows Server 2003)

It is a 490MB ISO download!!!

If you are using dial-up it would be better to order the CD for the cost of S&H
    Lian Li PC-V2120X Black HPTX Full Tower
    Antec TPQ-1200 OC Power Supply
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Motherboard
    (2X) Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2
    32GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II (8 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
    Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G SAS 6Gb/s w/ 4GB cache RAID Controller Card
    (4X) OCZ Talos 960GB 3.5" SAS 6Gb/s SSD
    (4X) Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 600GB SAS HDDs
    Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-Ray DVD Burner
    (2X) Sapphire 295x2 8GB GDDR5 OC Video Cards
    (3X) Dell U3011 30" LCD monitors
    Win 7 Ultimate X64

Blog Entries
    Yes, the big draw of AMD's 64-bit K8 core is that it's a 64-bit CPU that can also run 32-bit code/instructions with no emulation or performance penalty (unlike previous 64-bit architectures). Intel's EM64T is a similar 64-bit extension to their P4's NetBurst architecture (but slightly different on a core level). Either of these CPU's can run 32-bit code/instructions just fine, and in fact, they are the best performing x86 32-bit CPU's currently available! The move to 64-bit isn't far away, and both AMD and Intel don't want to be left behind (or in the dust).

The NX bit was an AMD innovation built into their K8 core in anticipation of Microsoft's next-gen OS, known as "Longhorn". Longhorn has now been scaled down by MS in many critical ways, but NX will still play a large part in the future (despite the fact that MS & Intel & AMD shouldn't be responsible for malicious code! grrr). AMD's current implementation of the NX bit isn't enabled on all the K8-based CPU's, and Intel tried to copy AMD's plans for NX just by looking at their whitepapers and got it wrong, so NX capabilities will have to wait until those two get things straightened out. In the mean time, we don't have an NX bit capable OS anyway, so no one is really put out by the whole thing. Yet. Expect future NX bit support via the OS to be much like HT support is handled now, which is to say that it will most likely be auto-detected.

we don't have an NX bit capable OS anyway
    Not "entirely" true. XP SP2 has the No eXecute function, called DEP (Data Execution Prevention). Automatically detects if processor is DEP or NX capable (right now, only certain K8 cpus). Intel users will have to be satisfied with a lesser "software" implementation of DEP.

Blog Entries
    XP SP2 has the No eXecute function, called DEP (Data Execution Prevention).
    Why do they constantly insist on naming the same things differently!? I saw something on DEP for SP2, but it was amidst a bunch of other junk on network security, so I assumed it was something new for wireless (like WEP) or similar.

Sooner or later, some deranged techie is gonna go postal on these acronym creators!!

AMD64/bit processor

Thank you>>

So far to build as of the present date , and for the very near future; in what I am reading so far, is alot will change for 2005/ so to throw in the 64 bit
    processor using socket 939 conclusive with a chipset that will support 64bit technology. Your upgrades and change to the new OS will be less chaotic.
    Thank you again for your help// Through out the building process there will be alot of help required I can see!!!

Thread Information