Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: New harddrive..loading Windows

New harddrive..loading Windows

Hi, I'm hoping for some more advice from you resident gurus, if you would be so kind.

You gave me some excellent information WRT changing my harddrive, but now I'm stuck again unfortunately.

I bought and installed a new harddrive, ran FDISK and FORMAT, everything was OK.
    Now I come to installing Windows. So I reboot and choose disk support.
    At the command prompt A:\> , I type E:\>SETUP , which is correct I believe, but I get the response, "Bad command or file name".

The Windows 98se disk I'm using is a Dell Recovery one. I'm wondering if this is the problem.

Advise please!

The Recovery Disk should be bootable. Insert the CD, remove the floppy and boot. If you get a "no operating system found error," check your BIOS settings to make sure the CD drive is set at a higher boot priority than the hard drive.
    I fight authority, authority always wins

Remembering Kay

Ok, I took out the floppy and now I get C:\>. Tried typing in E:\> and D:\>, and get "Invalid drive specification"...more head scratching..

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    AS pentachris is saying, put the Dell recovery CD in the drive and then start the PC. The DELL recovery CD should be bootable.
    You are getting the C:\> prompt, probably because the boot order in the BIOS is not set properly to boot from CD.
    Configure the BIOS to use CD-ROM to boot first before any hard disks. You can access the BIOS setup, hitting either F2 or DEL or someother key in the keyboard just when the PC is powered on. Change the boot order there. Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Priority or Boot Order or whatever you BIOS offers.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Sounds like the CD is not being recognised by the system. Check that it is listed in the BIOS setup and that, if not, that its cables/connectors/jumpers are all OK.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks for your advice, chaps.

I found the Bios Boot Sequence. It says "A,C". So I presume it's not recognising the CD-ROM drive..

Look in the BIOS to see if it is recognizing the CD-ROM. It should appear (along with any other drives on IDE channels) in the first of the BIOS menus.

Whether it is recognized or not, you should be able to change the BIOS boot sequence to have the CD-ROM at the beginning (it'll just skip if it there's not one installed).
    I fight authority, authority always wins

Remembering Kay

Sounds like old Award BIOS.
    The place where you see A,C
    either press page-up page-down or + - in the keyboard, you should be able to change the sequence. If theres CD-ROM,C,A or something like that select it. If not Probably theres D,A,C or D,C,A or something like, select it. I've seen older BIOS assuming D as the CD-ROM, may there are other entries starting with E as well.
    As Pentachris is saying, you should be able to change the BIOS boot sequence to boot from CD first whether theres a CD-ROM in the system or not.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Thanks for the reply.

I've got "boot sequence : A,C" . It says to modify : PU/PD/+/-. I have tried typing this but nothing happens. Pressing F1 for help shows available options, one being "CD-ROM,C,A". I presume this is the one to choose. How do I choose it?

Yes you have to choose that CDROM,C,A option.
    Don't type it actually, just hit the Page UP or Page Down button on the Keyboard, and then the choice will rotate. You have to select(highlight) the line containin Boot Sequence first using the arrow keys, <- ^ ->. After you've done that, hit Esc once and then press F10 and press Y and then exit.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Thanks, I've managed to do that.

It starts to boot but I get a message:

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

Are you quite sure the cdrom is recognised in the BIOS setup as a master or slave device on channel 1 or 2 - regardless of being able to set its position in the boot order.

If it is then I suggest you change the boot order to A, CDROM, C.

Then repartition and reformat your hard drive from a win98 floppy diskette or from one made from bootdisk.com

Then start with CDROM support and attempt to run setup again.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

<Are you quite sure the cdrom is recognised in the BIOS setup as a master or slave device on channel 1 or 2 - regardless of being able to set its position in the boot order.>

Thanks for the reply. How do I find that information?

The options I'm given in Bios Setup are: A,C
    C,A
    C, CD-ROM
    CD-ROM, C, A

In the Bios setup:

Primary Master : Auto
    Primary Slave : none
    Secondary Master : none
    Secondary Slave : none

Drive A : 1.4mb 3.5 in.
    Drive B : none

Video : EGA/VGA
    Halt on : All errors

Depending on the age of the bios, the CDROM can show up as NONE. The CDROM usually will show up during the POST however.

If you have the ability to set (in bios) all your IDE devices to AUTO, do so. Use the arrow keys to get to and highlight the entry, and use either ENTER or the Page Up/Page Down keys to set that entry to AUTO.

ESC usually backs you out to the main "page" where you can choose EXIT Saving Changes. You may have to confirm the save with a "Y" on the way out. The system should then continue to boot with the new settings.
    It's a good day when you learn something.

Depending on the age of the bios, the CDROM can show up as NONE.
    That may be so but all I can say is that I have never seen this and that for the BIOS to report none (as in this example) implies there is either a problem with the drive itself, or the cables/connections, or the way it is jumpered.

That would seem to be confirmed by the "Invalid drive specification" message when trying to access both D: and E:

So I would recheck the cables, connectors and jumpers - try the drive in the secondary master if it is currently on the primary slave (in which latter case you may need to rejumper the HDD itself). If that fails to get it recognised in the BIOS, after setting its position to auto, you could try clearing the CMOS either by using another mobo jumper or leaving the little CMOS battery out overnight. If that fails I would try and swap it with a known good drive and cable.

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
    This, appearing after changing the boot order, nonetheless, looks like it is coming from the hard drive (with a corrupt/incomplete windows installation installed). If it is by any chance coming from a CD then it would imply that the media itself is damaged - (particularly if you can hear the CDD spin up at this time). So the final thing to try would be another retail (pressed) CDROM - (in other words not a CDR or CDRW which older CDDs may have problems reading).

If, as I suspect, this is from the HDD then it looks like you formatted C: with the /s or sys switch. That is not necessary when running a Win98 setup; a straightforward format C: should suffice.
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 03-10-2005 at 02:19 AM.

My P120 on an Asus board, Award bios (I can list more specifics if required) lists NONE in the Slave positions on both IDE channels. (This is on the Main (first) bios screen, date, time, floppies, IDE's, etc.) Same on the POST screen, listed as NONE. There's a 20GB Quantum Fireball (yuch) as the Prim. Mstr and a WD 10GB as the sec. Mstr. The CDROM is Primary Slave. The CDROM is not listed on/in the POST screen, but right after it; "CDROM XXXX-560 found". One line, that's all it says.
    It's a good day when you learn something.

Perhaps the drive itself is recognised then (especailly if it spins up) and that the media itself is the problem. Can you try any other (non Dell) bootable CDROM.

Depending on the age of the bios, the CDROM can show up as NONE. The CDROM usually will show up during the POST however.
    You're damn right. I've seen on many. Such BIOS can only show chs counts etc for hdds and no CD-ROMs.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Blog Entries
    Check BIOS again, specifically look to be sure all IDE channels are set to AUTO.

CD ROM drives will somtimes show up as NONE in BIOS, and often with older systems you can set it for CD ROM as well. To know which channel and drive to set as CD ROM you need to know which IDE channel it's physically plugged into and which position the Master/Slave jumper on back of the drive is set to.

From the options you posted, CD_ROM; C; A is the boot sequence you want. Also be sure you allow BIOS to "Save Changes and Exit" when you finish. If that option is not used it will revert back to previous settings.

Pay particular attention to Paul's comments about which IDE channel you are using, cables and how the drives are jumpered. That can make a world of difference. One backward cable can ruin your whole day...
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thanks guys for all that input.

I'm a bit tired and overworked at the moment, so I'm going to leave any further attempts till the weekend.

There is one thing that may be a clue. Just before it reaches the command prompt, the Windows screen flashes up for an instant..may be significant..?

Thanks again for your efforts amd patience.

Just before it reaches the command prompt, the Windows screen flashes up for an instant..may be significant..?
    Its probably the windows 98 logo screen that you get when you format your hdd with the /s switch and boot. This suggests that the system is still booting from the hard drive. Probably the Dell CD is bad if he has managed to change the boot order in the BIOS correctly and only if he could verify that the CD Drive is a working one.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Thread Information