Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Flash disk help...

Question Flash disk help...

How do you get a USB flash disk to work under Linux?

IE: How do I tell Linux, to mount a USB storage device?

Whenever I try flash disks or USB hard-drives, I cannot see them, and cannot use them.

I will try a search on the net now, and see what I can find out.

MM.
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Having done an in depth search yet but have a look at the info HERE
    "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

Blog Entries
    Here's how I got mine to work. I looked up this info a while back, no idea where it came from, but one of the Linux forums had some info.

You'll need to use a terminal, so make sure the commands are typed exactly as posted here. Linux command line stuff (usually bash I think) is the same as DOS, syntax and spacing must be correct. FOrtunately this one is not difficult. Commands will be posted in bold text and spaces will be denoted by an underscore ( _ ) which I don't think will be needed, but just to let you know how I always lay things out...I think you posted in another thread this is Mandrake, I'm running Mandrake 9.2 here and 10 on another machine I access frequently. Both work the same, for some reason the icons end up named slightly different...

Open a terminal - Aterm, Xterm or whichever one you like. Get root level (administrator) access by typing su (super user) (Press [Enter]) then give it the root password.

The command prompt should change to root@hostname_location. The first word "root" is what you want to see, the location doesn't matter for this. Type

lsmod which I think means List Modules. That is lower case L not capital I. You should get a couple of results such as usb-storage, scsi-mod and usb-uhci with usb storage references.

Then type

dmesg

The results should be a long listing and a section saying your usb drive is found and an address.

scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: LEXAR Model: JUMPDRIVE SECURE Rev: 2000
    USB Mass Storage device found at 2

is one of my current listings.

Close the terminal and you should have an icon on your desktop for /mnt/removable or another hard disk. (standard hard drives are listed as hda0, hda1 etc, this will say "hard disk".) Double click it and it should open in a file manager window and read the drive. It may take a few seconds to read everything.

My Lexar works perfect, a friend's San Disk is recognized as Generic and never loads, so your mileage may vary. I find the best way to transfer files is to open one file manager window (konqueror by default) for the USB drive and another to the folder you want to use on the hard drive. Drag & drop from one window to the other, use the dialog to choose Move here or Copy here, whichever you wish. Move will erase the file from the source location, whether on hard drive or USB drive, so be careful using it. Copy here does exactly that.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thanks a ton. I will try this tonight. I printed out your instructions. Sounds easy enough...

If it works, can I create a Macro-type-thing(for want of better Linux description) with an icon on the desktop, so I can just click it, and the terminal will open, execute the instructions, and drop out again, leaving a mount point on the desktop?

(so I don't have to type this every time I put the flash disk in...)

Thanks again - great help from these forums.

MM.
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Blog Entries
    You should only have to do it once, after that it should try to access the USB drive any time you double click the icon it puts on the desktop.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

O.K.

No luck.

Here is a copy of the Termnial text(which I was DELIGHTED to be able to copy and paste...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[graeme@localhost graeme]$ su
    [root@localhost graeme]# lsmod
    usb-storage 65504 0

scsi_mod 104044 2 sd_mod,usb-storage
    nls_iso8859-15 4224 1
    isofs 31352 1
    md5 3584 1
    ipv6 230916 8
    rfcomm 32348 0
    l2cap 19876 5 rfcomm
    bluetooth 39076 4 rfcomm,l2cap
    snd-seq-oss 31232 0
    snd-seq-midi-event 6080 1 snd-seq-oss
    snd-seq 47440 4 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event
    snd-pcm-oss 49480 0
    snd-mixer-oss 17376 1 snd-pcm-oss
    snd-intel8x0 30124 1
    snd-ac97-codec 69392 1 snd-intel8x0
    snd-pcm 81800 2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-intel8x0
    snd-timer 20356 2 snd-seq,snd-pcm
    snd-page-alloc 7400 2 snd-intel8x0,snd-pcm
    gameport 3328 1 snd-intel8x0
    snd-mpu401-uart 5856 1 snd-intel8x0
    snd-rawmidi 19300 1 snd-mpu401-uart
    snd-seq-device 6344 3 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-rawmidi
    snd 45988 13 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-intel8x0,snd-ac97-codec,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-mpu401-uart,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device
    soundcore 7008 1 snd
    af_packet 16072 0
    floppy 55088 0
    sis900 17412 0
    ide-cd 37280 1
    cdrom 37724 1 ide-cd
    loop 12520 0
    supermount 34804 1
    sis-agp 5796 1
    agpgart 27752 1 sis-agp
    ehci-hcd 26244 0
    ohci-hcd 18468 0
    usbcore 103172 5 usb-storage,ehci-hcd,ohci-hcd
    ext3 120680 2
    jbd 49080 1 ext3
    [root@localhost graeme]# dmesg
    Linux version 2.6.8.1-12mdk (quintela@n5.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux (Alpha 3.4.1-3mdk)) #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004

usb 3-4: new high speed USB device using address 2
    SCSI subsystem initialized
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: VMAX Model: 256MB Rev: 2.00
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    USB Mass Storage device found at 2
    usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    SCSI device sda: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    [root@localhost graeme]#

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, I was sucessful(*** YAY!!! *** - i'm learning...) in following the instructions, and getting a responce from Linux in that it corretly sees the VMAX flash disk, but then all these I/O errors, and no icon on the desktop, i'm afraid.

Does this log make any sence to any of you Linux guru's?

NOTE: I HAVE REMOVED SOME OF THE LOG TEXT, AS PC-GUIDE HAS A LIMIT OF 10k PER MESSAGE(fair enough, too...)

If you want the full text, you will have to e-mail me directly.
    I have tried to include all the relevant information.

MM.

ADDITIONAL:

Found this when scanning the log file - perhaps it is important, as it mentions a Windows filesystem...

-------------------------------------------------

ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
    ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

-------------------------------------------------

This is just before the "usb 3-4: new high speed USB device using address 2" line.

MM.

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    After you've inserted the flash disk. Open a console and run the the following commands,

mkdir /mnt/flashdisk
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flashdisk

and the flash disk will be mounted at /mnt/flashdisk and you can see the contents

cd /mnt/flashdisk
    ls

Now you can use file managers like konqueror or nautilus to access it.
    While on KDE, you can right click and create "Link to HardDisk" and configure the device & the mount point to create a shortcut link to mount/use it.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Thanks for that - I will try this tomorrow (too drunk tonight!!!)
    :-]

MM.

Thread Information