Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Monitor help

Monitor help

Hi everybody
    I am thinking of buying an 17 LCD Monitor. I don't want to spend much money so until now I was thinking of a non-DVI monitor. But I have been told that DVI is ,or will be in the future, important. What do u think? I have a GeForce 6800GT PCI-E video card whcih of course supports DVI. I am currently thinking of buying the ACER 17 monitor (DVI,response time 12ms) because it is quite cheap. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Buy it, they make great monitors....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Yes go for it. I have a Acer AL1715 and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for your help

Blog Entries
    DVI hasn't reached the popularity on home desktops as it has in the professional sector. One of the big draws of DVI is that it's an all-digital signal, which means no analog conversion is necessary. However, the standard VGA signal style is still alive and kicking for those of us who use CRT monitors, so vid card manufacturers aren't going to give up on us! Therefore, RAMDAC's are still put on every vid card, and they're so fast now that they can pump out way more than 60fps at a resolution of 2048 x 1536 (modern RAMDAC's operate at 400MHz). The DVI signal, on the other hand, runs out of bandwidth at resolutions exceeding 1600 x 1200. So unless a new DVI protocol is released within the next few years, VGA will win this war...

So what do u suggest? Should I buy a non-DVI monitor? What do u think of LG1730?(12ms, 500:1, no DVI)
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would suggest you buy whatever monitor you want and forget about the connector. The DVI limitation of 1600 x 1200 won't affect you unless you want to buy a 23" LCD monitor! When looking at LCD monitors, I don't give a darn about the connector myself.

That's my opinion.

Thread Information