Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: network

Angry network

I am trying to set up a 2 pc network using a crossover cable, but I cannot get the computers to share files and the internet simultaneously. I can either share internet or files, but either way network gaming works. Can someone PLEASE help me?
    Oh, JIC, one computer is a PIII 600 running win Me and the other is a Celeron 533 (i think) running win 98.

------------------
    Alston Pike
    hi_tech_redneck2004@yahoo.com

Lightbulb

in order to use Internet Connection Sharing ( ICS ) with a standard crossover cable or hub/switch-you need a second NIC in the PC that is connected to the net and then you'll have to set up the proper Ip settings for each. The easiest way to do this is to run the ICS wizard.

------------------
    iisbob

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.-Mark Twain
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

or maybe not...

I am using dial up networking in the host computer and crossover (yes, only a cable) cable to the client. I've tried the ICS setup and home networking setup a few times and I've even tried manually setting ip's for the two computers and none of it worked. I've managed to get the network to not work about 3 times (and fixed it) and i still cannot get it right. I've fiddled with it for like 5 hours and I'm a bit frustrated for such a simple, non geeky answer.

oh yeah, and i've even consulted every applicable troubleshooter in windows help too!

------------------
    Alston Pike

[This message has been edited by gibrain (edited 05-30-2002).]

ICS can be pretty tough. Try the following link for exact instructions:
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/index.htm

Look at the 5th article in 'How To' on this page for instructions on sharing the internet connection.

------------------
    Sandman
    Sandman

Consider using a hub - brings a lot of flexibility to the table and will solve you current problem plus LAN much easier to set up and a lot less tweeking

I abandoned the cat5 crossover thing some time ago for exactly the problem you are experiencing and will never go back - I can have both Pc's on line both with there own modems and transferring data peer to peer at the same time, another setup used one PC as a gateway so could likewise have both PC's on line and still be doing peer to peer sharing.

------------------
    Old dogs CAN learn new tricks
    Good Judgement comes from Experience - Experience comes from Bad Judgement - but bad judgement is more fun!!

did you enable the file and printer sharing in the networking tab?.... and ICS is not that good........ if i where you i'll upgrade to windows 2000 advance server edition its much more stable and its very good for networking.......

Old_cat said:

Consider using a hub - brings a lot of flexibility to the table and will solve you current problem plus LAN much easier to set up and a lot less tweeking
    I abandoned the cat5 crossover thing some time ago for exactly the problem you are experiencing and will never go back - I can have both Pc's on line both with there own modems and transferring data peer to peer at the same time, another setup used one PC as a gateway so could likewise have both PC's on line and still be doing peer to peer sharing.

Old_cat:

I've set up several 2-computer networks with crossover cable and never had a problem. With more than two computers a hub or switch is essential, but with two computers there is absolutely no difference in settings, tweaking or flexibility between crossover cable vs. hub. Both are completely transparent to the user.

------------------
    Sandman
    Sandman

Hi Gwallen:

Original post in thread pertaining to being on internet and file/printer sharing simultaniously while on internet and subsequent suggestions about adding another NIC etc and tweeking this and tweeking that to allow that capability - and the original poster spending countless hours trying tp make the scheme work - not to mention we have little idea of what's in there etc

Under those circumstances Hub was a fair suggestion - not interested in whether cat5 crossover setup vs hub - that's like AMD vs Intel - depends what you want to do, your preferences, applications etc and whatever idocycracies have creeped into a given OS - My preference is now hub over cat5 crossover - taking about 5 minutes to set up a network - well worth $30 bucks to me

------------------
    Good Judgement comes from Experience - Experience comes from Bad Judgement - but bad judgement is more fun!!

I prefer a router over any of the above but that is just my preference.

After you set them up to share files you need to tell Internet Explorer how to connect to the internet. The host should be already settup but the client may not be. You need to run the internet connection wizard telling it to use the LAN to connect. Here is a how-to on manually setting up the TCP/IP properties for ICS.

------------------
    How to Use Fdisk and Format to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk
    How to multi-boot Windows XP
    Microsoft Expert Zone Multi-booting made easy
    MSKB How to multi-boot Windows XP
    Lian Li PC-V2120X Black HPTX Full Tower
    Antec TPQ-1200 OC Power Supply
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Motherboard
    (2X) Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2
    32GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II (8 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
    Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G SAS 6Gb/s w/ 4GB cache RAID Controller Card
    OCZ Talos 960GB 3.5" SAS 6Gb/s SSD
    (4X) Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 600GB SAS HDDs
    Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-Ray DVD Burner
    (2X) MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING 4GB GDDR5 Video Cards
    (3X) Dell U3011 30" LCD monitors
    Win 7 Ultimate X64

Well how about this...you buy me the router and cables and I will do it. I have consulted with a friend and he says I just need to upgrade the 98 machine to ME or 2000. Anyhow, I can access the client computer from the host, its just the other way around now, and HOW IS A ROUTER/HUB GOING TO FIX THAT? It's a software problem. I can do everything I wanted to begin with from my computer and we can share internet and game over the network so consider this thread closed.

------------------
    Alston Pike

Are you running 98 or 98se?

If you are using 98 then maybe on the update, if 98se then proably not needed...

------------------
    mjc
    Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Ouch!! That was a little harsh - you ask for help, get a shopping list of ideas then give us a blast for our effort?? What gives??

------------------

No, I did not blast for the effort. I blasted cause you made the posts like I have no clue how to turn a computer on (or so I felt)! BTW, I am running 98 SE. As far as the problem, I again say its software cause between just 2 computers a hub does just what a crossover cable does - switch the send/receive signals and this is a new cable. I had a friend suggest upgrading the old machine to Win ME or 2000 and that may fix the problem, what do you think?

------------------
    Alston Pike

[This message has been edited by gibrain (edited 06-03-2002).]

98se has all that is needed for ICS...the version in ME isn't really any better than 98's, 2k is not so much an upgrade as a total switch of operating systems...(it is based on the NT kernel). Yes it has better networking capabilities, but it is really intended for the corporate world and is a little bit of overkill for a simple home network.

------------------
    mjc
    Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Hey Gib:

I hope I wasn't one of those giving that impression.

I was inputing based on my personal experience - after 3 years I had just accepted that sharing files peer to peer and internet connection simultaniously just wasn't an option - and I have researched the ass off of this as well as hours on phone with ISP and others.

Recently put in a hub because I was finally getting cable here - set up network and boom - I could share, be printing, and have both PC's online all at same time - **** I kept undoing the network - setting up gateway, each computer connecting directly to internet yada yada - I had not a single problem setting any configuration up at all - and didn't have to get into DNS settings on the LAN or anything - no "sleepy internet connections" or any other of the host of issues I had learned to live with.

Some observations - I have searched far and wide for why I am so stupid that I can't do all that with a cat5 crossover like many say I can

I found :

A: I am not alone - there are soooo many out there that can't do it thousands tens of thousands

B: All the credible sources like Mueller, Meyers, MS et al all present networking with using a hub and give one vague line about using one cable to connect 2 PC's (some refer to direct connecting which is something else)

C: At Muellers site, I even asked the question about Cat5 crossover Vs Hub - silence

D: Overwhelmingly ( just about 100%)- people having problems with networking are attempting this cat5 crossover thing

Yet any time I have said maybe there are limits, I get beat over the head -I would love to hear from someone who can be on line and actively sharing files & printers (not just sharing internet connection)at the same time.

I could go on

I am studying for my A+ and I will say this - if a client wants a network set up?? You can bet I am going to go by the book and do it with a hub.

Again, I hope it wasn't my post offending you and I wish you Luck in your quest

------------------

Old_kid, right, but just because it(crossover cable) can be done doesn't mean it is the easiest/best...

A hub or a router is going to be a much more elegant solution, and in the long run much more flexible.

If windows native networking software were really up to par then I don't think that the market for hubs/routers and third-party software would be so large...

I am trying to point out that 98se has the tools/software that should allow the above to work, but like most everything that has been added to Windows in an attempt to make it do everything possible it is flaky at best....

gibrain

I would not under any circumstances let any friend talk me into buying a copy of WinME...some of its features are only marginally better than 98se, and often it causes more problems than it is worth (if you bought a computer and that is what was installed on it....then it may run quite well). 2k is overkill for what you are wanting to do, you can find third-party networking software that should allow everything you want at a cheaper price than 2k...but if there are other things that you might want that 2k has to offer then it may be worth looking at. XP would also be a viable option.....

------------------
    mjc
    Computer Links

The only reason I am running Win ME is because it actually runs faster and a bit more stable on my computer (not quite so many BSOD's). I doubt that I will ever install it on the HP as my dad says he would kill me if I did, and I am just not big on Windows XP at the moment, I have seemed to hear that it's a bit loopy in the security and still has a lot of bugs. Maybe M$ will get it right one day.

Oh, and sorry I tended to blow up like that. The first smartass reply was typed in when I was really tired...

------------------
    Alston Pike

I have seemed to hear that it's a bit loopy in the security and still has a lot of bugs. Maybe M$ will get it right one day.
    nah- that just complaining from people that are using last centuries hardware on this centuries operating systems.

XP is "ready" and they got it right this time- (just a few fixes) but nothing major.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

Hey MJ & Gib:

Not to hammer an issue but - the cost of ME et al would exceed the cost of a hub and is far far from a viable solution. The only way installing a new OS would be cheaper is to bootleg it - And I know this forum doesn't support that.

As a business owner with a family, I often have to scrimp and agonize over the cost for software as opposed to things my family needs/wants - knowing that part of what I am paying is to cover theft - It's almost like they are stealing my daughters lunch money directly.

But that's another subject....

------------------

Talking

Well, I already had a copy of ME installed; and not to hammer the issue, but I guess you can get the hub & cables for less than Win ME. I will just live with what I have until I can get my new power hog built.

------------------
    Alston Pike

Thread Information