Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I keep Losing my Internet Connection!

Unhappy Help! I keep Losing my Internet Connection!

Why is my internet connection cutting off with no warning?

And why does it sometimes even say Iím connected, but cannot access any websites?

Iíve checked for viruses and spyware. I keep updating my Internet Security and Firewall. My modem is indicating that everything is fine.

My PC isnít crashing or anything. Sometimes rebooting helps and other times it doesnít.

I'm totally at a loss. Any help appreciated, thanks
    I might as well put a confused smilie in here - it'll save time!

It may help to know what type of connection (cable/DSL/dialup) you are using to the Internet, the OS, the browser you use.....

I kept losing my connection via broadband every 5 minutes due to my pc being connected to the same circuit as my air conditioning unit. The thermostat on the AC unit was cycling the compressor and whenever the compressor called for power, the connection from my modem to my isp was interrupted and lost. A simple unplug-replug of the power to the modem remedied it until I was able to use an alternate power source for the AC unit.

The modem did not blink or otherwise show any sign of having a problem although the connection was lost.

May or may not be the same or similar in your particular situation.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Have you tried pinging any of those sites(this makes use of the "ping" command + the website address such as "ping www.google.com")which is done after you go from Start to run, type in cmd, click OK and at the command screen go ahead using the ping command.

Also are you behind any type of router, or other networking device? Or is the PC directly connected to the internet?
    Erik

Hi,

Thank you - I was waiting for an email to say I'd got replies - I forgot I have to request that manually!

I have 1MB Broadband, no router - the connection wires are the same as they've always been, via a 'surgemaster' to prevent lightning blowing my modem up.

The pinging I thought applied to Blogs, and I'm sorry - I don't understand how that affects my connection. Also when I first connect, my PC says 'connected' as it should, but I can't access any webpages, so I couldn't ping if I wanted to.

I may have a similar problem to Fruss Tray Ted, but due to the phone line, not an appliance - my phone line sounds crackley, so I'll investigate that first.

Thanks

Paula

Try contacting your ISP's technical assistance telephone help line.
    They can tell whether they can "see" your modem down the cable from their end, therefore they know whether alls well as far as the modem.

Unless the problem is with your PC or the website it's their responsibility to get it working to provide the service you are paying for.

That was the first thing I did thanks - they say the modem is fine.

"they say the modem is fine"
    They should have said more than that.
    If they said they could "see" your modem, then that means all is well all the way from the internet to [and including] your modem.

"I'm sorry - I don't understand how that affects my connection"
    If your connection from the internet to your modem and your modem also is ok...
    Then if you ping as instructed and get a satisfactory response, then all is well all the way from your PC to that website.
    No problem with your PC or the connection or the site.
    So you'd be looking for some other cause...
    Like websites are blocking you [your PC has been blacklisted?] and you need a proxy server address supplied by your ISP, or your web browser has a problem.

"I couldn't ping if I wanted to"
    How do you know if you haven't tried?

The connection is not ok - the modem is ok (Both lights are on and not flashing)

Sometimes I cannot access ANY webpages - not Google home page, nothing. How can I ping when I'm not connected?

It seems to happen when my phone line is crackley after a heavy rainfall. A BT engineer is coming on Thursday.

Thanks

Paula

"the modem is ok (Both lights are on and not flashing)"
    I have 4 LED's on my broadband modem:
    1. Power:
    This normally glows constantly because the power supply is ok.
    2. Cable:
    Normally glows constantly because the coaxial cable connection all the way out onto the internet is ok.
    It did once blink for a short period of time when they were fixing the line and I couldn't connect to the internet.
    3. PC:
    This normally blinks because the PC is in communication with the modem.
    4. Data:
    This is normally off, and only blinks when data is being received [and/or sent] by the modem.

"How can I ping when I'm not connected? "
    Again I ask, how do you know [you are not connected]?
    Is it your LED's that tell you so?

"A BT engineer is coming on Thursday"
    So is it BT who are your broadband ISP?

OK, so what is the status when it says I'm connected but cannot access ANY sites?

I cannot be banned from every site on the internet!!! And also I can be in the middle of a Skype call, or just research and I simply LOSE my connection!

No, BT are my phone provider, and my Broadband uses my phone line. When I open my line box up it is oxidated inside, (copper is turquoise) so I brush it, put a hairdryer on it, then it works! This morning it was bouncing down with rain so I assumed I wouldn't be able to get online, but I did - first time! Well, water is a conductor isn't it?

If you don't hear from me again, you know I've blown myself up!!

Actually I've checked NTL and I could save money with them for both phone and ISP. If so I'll cancel the BT engineer and go with them.

Cheers

Paula

Sounds like the problem stems from using a plain old telephone cable to attempt to get broadband access.
    I'm surprised that can actually be done [but what do I know?]

Would NTL run a [co-axial] cable connection to your house?
    Telewest ran cables throughout our whole housing estate on spec and then people began signing up [even me eventually].
    I wonder if NTL will offer the same kind of inclusive package as Telewest.
    We get 4,000 kB/s Broadband, plus unmetered telephone calls to any geographic area code in the UK [talk all day every day if you want (yesterday spent 4 hrs on the phone to my sister in Bristol - she rings, I call back)], plus cable TV [great quality images].

Sounds like the problem stems from using a plain old telephone cable to attempt to get broadband access.
    I'm surprised that can actually be done
    I have broadband over plain telepohne cable. 2 meg but due to be upgraded to 8 meg. no problems at all
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

So if perfectly good broadband connections can be had over plain old ordinary phone cables why do companies spend a FORTUNE digging up the roads and pavements to install new co-axial cables?

Does it congest the phone lines?
    Is it a problem of bandwidth?

Sylvander, I think the problem is definitely one of bandwidth. At my previous house I ran a 50' phone line from the dsl modem to the jack. Speeds were pretty awesome, but I was only serving signal to/from one dsl modem.

IMHO, the infrastructure of the lines in the street would be a different issue all together. As more and more housing developments and condos are being built, with increasing demand for services like dsl, the maximum capabilities of the supply lines will more quickly be reached.

Paula, do you have line filters on the regular phones in your house? I am not sure if they're intended to protect the phones, or the integrity of your modem's signal. The crackling, and the problem occuring around storms, leads me to think this is a problem surrounding the electrical current in your phone line. Not sure if the filters would have an impact on this, but Verizon did send me 5 and a wall plate with my old modem.

Speculating here, but I imagine that a weak signal would more easily find your dsl provider for authentication (*connected*,) than to send and receive significant amount of data. If your computer is dropping packets because they're corrupted from line noise, it will have to send a request for another. Lots of dropped packets would result in lots of additional requests, which could use up limited bandwidth over a weak signal. As more of the packets drop, and more requests are made, the computer could quickly end up just getting too much noise...resulting in no Internet even though the modem says its connected.

I was sometimes able to repair a faulty connection by turning everything off. After about 30 seconds I would restart the dsl modem. Once the lights quit blinking I would then restart my PC. This is very annoying, but so is not being able to access the internet. Your provider might fight you some, because the consumer is responsible for all the lines from the phone connection block outside. Do you have a ton of lines split off into many different rooms? My old house had something of a rat's nest of wires in the basement. Eliminating unnecessary connections improved my speed.

Hi -

It certainly sounds like your problem has to do with physical stuff, like oxidation in the line box, but I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents in regard to your other question.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula De Niro
    The pinging I thought applied to Blogs, and I'm sorry - I don't understand how that affects my connection. Also when I first connect, my PC says 'connected' as it should, but I can't access any webpages, so I couldn't ping if I wanted to.
    When I'm having a problem with internet connectivity, I try to break it down one step at a time, starting at the most basic level, kind of like going back to the beginning of the chain and examining each link one at a time. This is not unique to computers; it's just good basic problem-solving. Pinging is a tool in this process.

"Pinging" has nothing to do with Blogs; it doesn't even have anything to do with the Web. It's simply entering a DOS command to send a signal to another computer and asking that other computer to send back an answer.

Start --> run --> cmd (assuming you have Windows XP) puts you in DOS command mode. Enter "ipconfig". If you honestly have no internet connectivity, you will get no response, or a message saying "disconnected", or a bunch of zeroes. Otherwise, you will get some feedback. One line ought to say "IP Address" and display your unique identifier on the net, four groups of numbers with periods between them.

On the same screen, enter "ping yahoo.com". You should get 4 lines, telling you that it sent 4 signals to that server, how long it took for each one to make the trip there and back, etc. (Yahoo is just a server that I know is always up and will repsond to a ping. Any server that fits those criteria will do.)

If you can ping successfully, you are connected, and the problem is in your computer or modem and not with the ISP.

There are all kinds of higher-level software factors later in the process that can make it look like you are disconnected when you really aren't. As examples, the two things I run into most often are:

The software firewall is blocking the communication.
    The browser security settings are too tight.

Both of the above can result in the "this page cannot be displayed" message on your web browser, making it look the same as if you just yanked the internet cable out of the back of the machine.

I have a friend who just got DSL through his phone line. It works ok, but is a whole lot less dependable than my cable modem (but he pays a lot less than I do). He does have line filters all over the house.

Thanks,
    Ted

I cannot believe this! Someone else with the same issue I have. I too loose my internet connection randomly; however, when it does drop, it does so just as the air conditioning turns on. I may go several days with no issues, then have it occur several times in one day.

I have a straight connection to the ISP via fiber, no modems. I have a Netgear FVS338 router between the ISP and my home network. When the internet drops, the Netgear router shows a status of connected. A ping to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) or any valid IP address fails. To get my internet connection back requires a router power off/on cycle; a reboot of the router does not recover the connection.

When the internet connection drops, I can connect my laptop directly to the WAN port to the ISP and connect to the internet. SO the issue is, the router is blinded until I power it off and back on. I have worked with Netgear support with no luck, so they sent me a new router, which I received today.

I was sure the new router would correct my issue; but no, I have had two disconnects within the first 4 hours! I have also tried different circuits through out the house for a power source and replace my UPS that the router plugs into.

I am running out of ideas at this point. Hope someone has some additional troubleshooting steps. My guess is the AC is injecting noise on the network via network cabling. I have eliminated the router, UPS, power source and ISP; not much but the network wiring left.

Jules

not sure if this was mentioned as I really didn't read through everything, just scanned mainly. But my girlfriend, her mom and me all had basically the same problem, are net dropped out completely. For each computer I did a system recover to a previous time, not really sure what they went to as I walked them through it over the phone, but for me I went back to my last windows update and it fixed all of are problems, maybe give it a shot if your still haveing problems.

side note: All of our comps did this within a couple days of each other a week or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    So if perfectly good broadband connections can be had over plain old ordinary phone cables why do companies spend a FORTUNE digging up the roads and pavements to install new co-axial cables?

Does it congest the phone lines?
    Is it a problem of bandwidth?
    you cannot carry dsl over plain old ordinary phone lines. Category cable that is used for internet and networking has specific twist to the pairs inside, phone line does not. Also co-ax cable is completely different game then twisted pair cables, which dsl is carried over. The reason for the filters on phone lines for dsl is because dsl goes over the phone line as different frequency than normal voice transmission.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by juleswalker View Post
    I cannot believe this! Someone else with the same issue I have. I too loose my internet connection randomly; however, when it does drop, it does so just as the air conditioning turns on. I may go several days with no issues, then have it occur several times in one day.

I have a straight connection to the ISP via fiber, no modems. I have a Netgear FVS338 router between the ISP and my home network. When the internet drops, the Netgear router shows a status of connected. A ping to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) or any valid IP address fails. To get my internet connection back requires a router power off/on cycle; a reboot of the router does not recover the connection.

When the internet connection drops, I can connect my laptop directly to the WAN port to the ISP and connect to the internet. SO the issue is, the router is blinded until I power it off and back on. I have worked with Netgear support with no luck, so they sent me a new router, which I received today.

I was sure the new router would correct my issue; but no, I have had two disconnects within the first 4 hours! I have also tried different circuits through out the house for a power source and replace my UPS that the router plugs into.

I am running out of ideas at this point. Hope someone has some additional troubleshooting steps. My guess is the AC is injecting noise on the network via network cabling. I have eliminated the router, UPS, power source and ISP; not much but the network wiring left.

Jules
    Finally isolated the issue, was an Epson 600 printer configured to connect to my network via wireless. I reconfigured to connect via network cable, disabling the wireless mode and no more issues. I can duplicate the problem by reconfiguring printer to use wireless. I suspect the noise filtering within the wireless circuit may be substandard or failing.

I determined the printer as the cause by systematically removing variables, such as power source, routers, devices, etc.

I kept losing my connection via broadband every 5 minutes due to my pc being connected to the same circuit as my air conditioning unit. The thermostat on the AC unit was cycling the compressor and whenever the compressor called for power, the connection from my modem to my isp was interrupted and lost. A simple unplug-replug of the power to the modem remedied it until I was able to use an alternate power source for the AC unit.

Hello folks, well I had an Air conditioner AC line ran by the cable line going into the house, since then I'm loosing the cable modem connection to the Internet often, not sure if is the compressor ac pull or the line being too close to the cable going to the house anyhow I'll try to insulate the coax temporarily (not much room to get it away from the 220 ac line but just to see if that has anything to do with it, also when the compressor comes on I can see the lamp in my office dimming then it will be back to normal after the compressor have started, any ideas folks? I have change the modem and router for new ones the cable company came out and change the plugs on all the cables all the way from across the street, and will be coming out tomorrow to swap modems with one of theirs I got RR TWC so I'm pulling my hair.

I am having a similar problem. Lately I keep losing the internet which I have through my cable company. One minute it will be just fine, all the lights on and one blinking and then they will all go out except for 3 and I lose the internet. I thought it was the cords since my computer tells me there is an internet cable not connected but i've switched them around and it makes no sense, I keep getting that stupid message and right now I am not getting it which is why I can pot on here. I called the cable co. and they show everything is fine. When they installed the cable in my room the main cable was really lose and my boyfriend tightened it up but I can't figure out if its a loose connection or the modem they supplied. I can move the cables around and then i'll get it but i'll be answering an email and all of a sudden the lights will start to go out. They are coming tomorrow morning sometime. Does anyone have any clues as to what this is?

Thread Information