Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: hidden pdf files?

Angry hidden pdf files?

Hi,
    I have a M$ game that comes with a manual in pdf format only and there is no paper manual.
    I would like to print it out, as suggested by M$, but I have no printer. I was thinking to print them at work but the funny thing is that I can`t do this because when I inspect the cd-rom of the program I cannot find any pdf format file. The only alternative is install the entire game on the pc at work but I don’t think is a good idea to install games at work and is probably also illegal to install it on more PCs as “they” say. I guess that having this pdf files hidden somewhere in the cd and disabling the “saving” option is the M$ “bright” idea to avoid copies of copyrighted material, and I understand it, but they appear, on my opinion, also very arrogant by obliging a person to buy a printer only to get the maual printed out. Does anyone have an opinion or suggestion on this matter?

------------------
    #!@$*%.....just format the damn C:
    %#!*$&!.....just format the damn C:

hello
    with your pfd open on your own computer you can copy it to a fllopy by clicking on the floppy icon in the open pfd top left corner and than bring that to anther computer to be printed. i dont have a printer ether and have pfd set as my default printer.
    have a nice day

------------------
    resistance is invigorateing lol

Originally posted by borgdrone1of2:
    hello
    with your pfd open on your own computer you can copy it to a fllopy by clicking on the floppy icon in the open pfd top left corner and than bring that to anther computer to be printed. i dont have a printer ether and have pfd set as my default printer.
    have a nice day
    nto really, this is the point of my message, the little icon with the floppy you are talking about is disabled here. No saving!

------------------

andreadebiase
    Two suggestions

Have you tried doing a search\find for the file (*.pdf) on your cd when it is inserted into the drive?
    If you try that and can find it at home, then just take the cd into work and repeat search and print form there

Would it be possible for you to send yourself an e-mail at the place where you work? If so just attache the pdf file to an e-mail the when downloaded just print it out. Remember though some of these pdf files can run in multple pages

------------------
    Ernie

[This message has been edited by ErnieK (edited 03-15-2002).]
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

You can try this, open up the pdf file, go to Edit on the tool bar, then Select All, then edit agin and copy, then you should be able to paste it into notepad (or some other text editor), you will most likely loose the formatting and may need to do it on a page by page basis, but it should be readable (if it has graphics try Wordpad). then you can savve the notepad file to a floppy and print it out just about anywhere.

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Mjc I think you are right, editing is the way to go. I tried to look for a *.pdf on the CD and there is really nothing! really strange.
    thanks anyway guys

------------------

Do you have Explorer set to show all files?

What Os are you using?

If you are running in 98 try openning a DOS window and then switching over tio the CD drive, with the game disk in try dir *.pdf /a/s, which should display a list of all the files, hidden or otherwise, in all directories and sub-directories, then put in a floppy and then copy it to the floppy copy <full path>\xxxx.pdf a:\ (all in the DOS box...)

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Win XP pro. Are you sure the pdf files are among those that would not be shown? I never saw a hidden pdf file before.

------------------

hello
    it might be in a sub folder

------------------

Lightbulb

A lot of times vendors rename files with a different file extension , ie. pk3 is popular in games for what would be in a normal file extension an .mpg or .avi

this is to keep you from just direct copying thier material. that's why in a lot of programs you have to install their own sound player to play the in-game sounds/movies. Usually there is a way around this if you can edit the particular file.

looks like MJC's given you the best solution i can see.

------------------
    iisbob

"It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either."
    -Mark Twain { Samuel Clemen's }
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

Another thought is, if you don't have Acrobat Reader installed on the machine you are working on, you will not see the PDF file.
    As with any file format, you need to have the prog. that reads it to do so.

I like the idea of converting it to notepad or wordpad best

Good luck

------------------
    A real Christian is one who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip.
    Frank's Place
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

The PDF file could be in a .CAB file MS is good at that.

------------------
    I think Windows XP and Microsoft use more of my bandwidth than I do!
    WindowsBBS.com Is back online, check it out
    Lian Li PC-V2120X Black HPTX Full Tower
    Antec TPQ-1200 OC Power Supply
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Motherboard
    (2X) Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2
    32GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II (8 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
    Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G SAS 6Gb/s w/ 4GB cache RAID Controller Card
    OCZ Talos 960GB 3.5" SAS 6Gb/s SSD
    (4X) Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 600GB SAS HDDs
    Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-Ray DVD Burner
    (2X) MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING 4GB GDDR5 Video Cards
    (3X) Dell U3011 30" LCD monitors
    Win 7 Ultimate X64

Hello,
    Ass Bassman suggested you should try first to download a PDF-reader (for free) from the internet (www.adobe.com). Without reader you can't see PDF-files.
    Hans.

Exclamation

you know, I have been watching this thread and wondered when someone was going to suggest that this person make sure they had installed adobe acrobat reader.............

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

How about using Print to File. I haven't done this for years so correct me if I'm wrong. Install your office printer on your pc (even though it's not attached to it). Setup this printer and the page setup the way you would normally at the office. Preview if you want to. When you choose Print make sure the check box Print to file is selected. Give it a name say pdfmanual and a location (eg your floppy). It will be saved as a .prn or .ps file.

When you get to the office put the floppy in a pc and type something like the following (assuming the same printer you setup at home is on LPT1) at a command prompt.

copy a:\pdfmanual.prn lpt1 /b

Then press ENTER.
    Should work I think.

------------------
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul
    "There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots."
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Angry

ok guys I not so dumb!!!!!!!!!!! I do have Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 installed. I have many other files with a clearly evident pdf extension and they open very well.

------------------

Originally posted by Paul Komski:
    How about using Print to File. I haven't done this for years so correct me if I'm wrong. Install your office printer on your pc (even though it's not attached to it). Setup this printer and the page setup the way you would normally at the office. Preview if you want to. When you choose Print make sure the check box Print to file is selected. Give it a name say pdfmanual and a location (eg your floppy). It will be saved as a .prn or .ps file.

When you get to the office put the floppy in a pc and type something like the following (assuming the same printer you setup at home is on LPT1) at a command prompt.

copy a:\pdfmanual.prn lpt1 /b

Then press ENTER.
    Should work I think.
    Sounds like a very cool way to go! thank you Paul!!!

------------------

I was trying to remember the correct DOS command (that's how long ago it was) but I expect you should be able to just drag and drop the file onto the relevant printer nowadays.

------------------
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul
    "There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots."
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information