Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PC Rebooting Problems

PC Rebooting Problems

I have a computer with an Abit motherboard, Athlon 1800+ processor, 1 GB of memory and am running Windows XP Home addition on it. Several weeks ago it started rebooting on startup. The odd thing is, sometimes it reboots several times while the bios is till coming up and before Windows starts to load. When is it finished after 3-4 reboots then Windows XP loads fine. Other times it boots up fine but once I start an application in Windows it reboots and then reboots several times before even loading Windows XP again. Once the reboots finish though and the system is finally up and stable it runs flawlessly. In the past it would do this very occassionally (maybe once a month) but now it does it every time I cold boot it.

Things, I have tried. Memtest86 on Ram seems ok. Reseated all cards. Disabled restart on error. I never get an error message. Finally, I reformated hard drive and reinstalled everything. During the installation process not a single problem when the computer reboots itself (restart) nor did I have any problems when I did all my Windows updating with all those restarts. Same with reinstalling all drivers. Computer off completely though and a cold startup and the same problem.

I don't think its a temperature problem since once the bootups finally end everthing runs smoothly for hours. Same I would guess applies to power supply and motherboard. So I am at a complete loss. Its it possible something in the bios has been changed and is problematic only during boots and initial loading of windows? Its all I can think of bit no idea what it might be.

Possible causes:

-Overtaxed or bad power supply
    Either test it, or swap it out with a different(preferably higher wattage) unit.
    Also, always use a reliable brand, like Antec or Enermax. Off name cheap brands(even high powered units) can have one voltage leg that's insufficient to handle the load.

-Bad video card.
    Make sure it's fully seated, it's fan is running, its heatsink is securely mounted, and there's no dust built up on the fan and the heatsink.
    If those are ok, then swap it out with a known good card.

-Bad MB.
    Check for bulging, leaking, or ruptured capacitors.
    If they look ok, then swap it out with a known good MB.

-IRQ conflict with a network card.
    If no problems show up for the NIC in Device Manager, then remove it from DM, shut down, remove the card from the MB, and restart.

Thanks, it appears to have been my memory. I removed both sticks of 512MG ram and re-installed them several times. I also switched slots so that the more recently purchased ram stick was in the first slot instead of the second slot. Has booted up a dozen times now without a problem.

You're welcome.
    Good to hear that you got it fixed, and thanks for posting the solution.

Well, in the end, the shift and reseating memory did not help. I did learn several things though. Apparently once the computer warms up, rebooting is not a problem. That is why it rebooted a dozen times or more after I reseated the memory. It was already warmed up. So I am back to square one now. Additional things I have tried ....... 1) checked drive for bad sectors - not a problem, 2) replaced IDE cables - did not help either.

At this point I have an order in for another motherboard which should arrive next week. Can't be anything else.

The PS or the video card may also be bad.

Well, I am still waiting for my new motherboard so I can check it out. I really don't believe the problem is the video card as once it is booted I have no more problems even when running graphic intense games.

One thing I did discover over the weekend is how to avoid the boot problem altogether. I simply turn the computer on and when it asks for my password, I don't enter it for 3-4 minutes until everything warms up a bit. I have a bios password set on bootup as I have 4 kids that like to mess with my computer if not protected. It booted up perfectly ever time this weekend when I did that. Even when the computer was down for some time and fairly cool inside as we always keep on thermostat turned down to 62-64. Not sure what that indicates but I still think its a motherboard problem at this point.

That sounds like a possible PS problem.
    But if you do not mind the workaround wait, then just go with it.

Going to try to borrow a good power supply and see if that indeed works. If it does will probably buy a new one and either save the ordered motherboard for another day or return it.

Just not in my nature to not fix the problem though the workaround seems to have solved the problem for the moment. I'm afraid if I don't fix it, it will come back to bite me at a later time.

Well, ski, you really know you stuff. Decided to buy a new power supply knowing I could return it if it did not work. It worked and everything working fine again.

Thanks!

You're welcome.
    Glad that you were able to fix the problem, and thanks for posting the solution.

Thread Information