Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: buying laptop

Question buying laptop

i plan on buying a new laptop... the one i found that meets my specs and price range is the dell xps m1710. any1 had any past experiences with this laptop or with dell in general???

Like this person did?
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49196

Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo (IBM)
    All make really good notebooks, all have track records for better support that the one you posted.
    Also HP is better than Dell at the moment.

Welcome to the PcGuide forums max2006.

Hehe, I was just going to post the same link PrntRhd just did but he beat me to it.

Just in case you need more convincing do a search for "dell rant" on the forums and you are bound to find oodles of dell bashing fun.
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Yeah... I was also thinking of Laguna's thread

What are you planning to do with this notebook?
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Ah my topic has become famous.
    And it's also serving it's purpose.A warning to the un-aware consumer.
    I would also recommend Toshiba they make nice laptops the price just depends on where you buy it unfortunately.

But to avoid trouble...avoid Dell.

Wink

i read that thread before i posted this one... that was the main reason i did post it... because i read 1 (really) bad review i decided to search for some good ones and some satisfied customers... because i know if some1 has a problem he will post it everywhere... but if some1 is happy he just wont bother...

the reason i want this one is mostly gaming... and multimedia (3d graphics) creation...
    Last edited by max2006; 08-21-2006 at 01:04 PM.

I agree you can't base an opinion on one bad review. But there is a long line of regulars around here having very bad experiences with dell, including me. Their support is horrible, and Laguna's experience is not an isolated one unfortunately.

Many of us around here have had numerous bad experiences with dell to the point of the word leaving a bad taste on our mouth. In fact I have a hard drive on the way right now to replace a bad one in a dell latitude notebook for a customer. The notebook is only a little over two years old and doesn't get that much use. Just another instance of dell using poor quality parts.

Dell used to be very good at one time. I have a 7 year old inspiron notebook that just keeps in going. Yeah the CD drive quit working last year, but 6 years is pretty good for a notebook cd drive.

If you still want to get the dell, that's cool. No one around here will flame you for it or refuse to help with any problems that may or may not arise. But I do suggest you follow the recommendations of PrntRhd.
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Dell used to build great machines...both desktop and laptop. My first PC (that I owned) was a Dell 486 Win 3.1 machine, that if I wanted to it would still run...but over the years it has been canabalized for parts, so it would tak a bit to get it fully operational.

Then, several years ago, I picked up (well, my wife, really) a Dell PII machine at a yard sale. The original owners had it from new...about 1996. I wiped the drive, added some RAM, did a clean install of 98 on it and let the kids have at it for quite a while...it was bullet-proof. Hardware-wise it took everything they dished out and never complained. 98, on the other hand, was 98...

Several friends have older Dell laptops...the newest is about 4 yrs old. Those with the older machines have little or no trouble with them.

So, yes, at one time Dell did make good stuff...and built up a reputation for it.

Unfortunately, that time has come to an end.

If you do a quick search you will find that very often there are more 'problems' posted on forums about Dells than most other brands...especially laptops. Partially because there actually are problems, but mostly because Dells tech support has gone down the crapper...and part of the price you are paying for a big name brand laptop is SUPPORT.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

He makes a good point though.I too know of a person that is in lve with Dell....I just know dozens that aren't.

And if you don't by the Inspiron 1300 you have a good chance of not having too much problems.At the minute I am running the inspiron 6400 with top specs possible for that model and it is running fine(for now)

But as a whole their support is basically something along the lines of talking to sloths on horse tranquilizers...

If you do choose to take the risk and buy from them just prepare yourself for the worst..

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

well if any1 is kind enough to pin point a laptop with similar tech specs from another brand is most welcome... and if i can pick it up from a store where i can get some real support from that sure is a plus for me instead of buying from the internet and use hotlines for help

I am in the US so I can't give you any pointers for where to get one, and I know Newegg doesn't ship outside the US, but I will give you a link just to give you an idea. But Acer does have dealers in the UK.

This Acer doesn't have as quite as good of a video card but the other specs are much better with a little faster CPU, HD DVD DL burner, 2GB ram, 2x 120GB HDD's total of 240GB, 20" wide screen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115247
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jlreich
    I am in the US so I can't give you any pointers for where to get one, and I know Newegg doesn't ship outside the US, but I will give you a link just to give you an idea. But Acer does have dealers in the UK.

This Acer doesn't have as quite as good of a video card but the other specs are much better with a little faster CPU, HD DVD DL burner, 2GB ram, 2x 120GB HDD's total of 240GB, 20" wide screen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115247
    nice one 2 bad they dont sell in the uk... as for hp laptops that a lot of ppl openly suggest... the new ones that have a core duo processor with 2+ ghz dnt have an nvidia graphics card and thats a minus for me... at least the ones i found in the webpage...

Here is the link to locate an Acer retailer in your area. http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page5...2219#topofpage
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jlreich
    Here is the link to locate an Acer retailer in your area. http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page5...2219#topofpage
    thank you for your help... although most of the acer notebooks have a 1.66ghz processor which is low for my requirments i spotted a couple that will do the trick now the difficult part... decide which one to get

You want this Laptop for gaming correct?
    IMO Laptops just don't cut it for gameplay as far as the machines themselves go.I can never play my best when playing games on a Laptop.I just think the controls are awkward and I despise the mouse on Laptops.I tried playing battlefield on the laptop(A game I rule at on my desktop) and I sucked!!

I suppose it would just take getting used to but IMO it is much easier to play games on a desktop in general.But I suppose you want gaming on the move.

Thumbs up

Acer laptops are really good, the one I have is pretty good. However if you want it for pc gaming maybe a pc would be better as they are by far easier to upgrade at a later date for better games rather than buying a new laptop and the battery power doesnt last for ages on a laptop mind. Hope this helps

Very good point Garfield360.Battery usage would be at it's peak when gaming on a laptop.
    And upgrading desktops is far cheaper than buying a new laptop every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    You want this Laptop for gaming correct?
    IMO Laptops just don't cut it for gameplay as far as the machines themselves go.I can never play my best when playing games on a Laptop.I just think the controls are awkward and I despise the mouse on Laptops.I tried playing battlefield on the laptop(A game I rule at on my desktop) and I sucked!!

I suppose it would just take getting used to but IMO it is much easier to play games on a desktop in general.But I suppose you want gaming on the move.

its true i want it on the move... i will travel a lot so i cant have a desktop... thats the reason im searching for a laptop... also the uni starts soon so ill need it asap

Thread Information