Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Sony Vaio PCG-FRV28 Disassembly

Sony Vaio PCG-FRV28 Disassembly

I need to replace the keyboard on my PCG-FRV28. I've taken out all screws I can see. I even paid for the "repair" manual which is basically a physical specs diagram with no text. I tried the Repair/Disassembly Sticky on this sight, to no avail. This model is very different as the speaker cover does not slide to the left as with many of the other PCG's. I can see three screws under the monitor that I can't get to. Does anyone know of a legit disassembly guide for this model (which I believe also works for some of the other FRV2X notebooks)?

I don't want to get hammered for bumping this thread, but is there no one that knows how to replace the keyboard in this unit? This is really getting rediculous! Should I go to Sony with this problem? Will they even respond?

For most laptops there isn't all that much info floating around, outside of the manufacturer's authorized repair centers, so you've probably found all that there is...without going directly to Sony (as to whether or not you can get the actual manual *shrugs*...big maybe).

I looked the other night and couldn't find much, either...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

You may want to find a Sony notebook, or a notebook (in general) Forum and post your question there. You are bound to find more/add'l hands-on experience there for disassembling a notebook. Just a thought.

I should have thought of that....

You are definitely tapped out here...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thanks. I'll keep looking.

Blog Entries
    The black part above the keyboard should pry up. You'll have to open the laptop all the way so that the LCD screen is nearly flat. You can then pry up the black cover (and the hinge covers) as one piece. This takes some finesse and effort, as well as a tiny flat-head screwdriver for prying.

Once that is removed, you should see 2 or 3 screws holding the keyboard in place.

Exclamation Correction!

CORRECTION!

The speaker/power button panel on the PCG-FRV28 does not pry out! There are actually 4 depressible latches very sneakily hidden by the Escape, F5, F11 and Delete/Break keys. You must, in turn, depress each of these keys and then you can poke a small flat head screwdriver into the latch and it will press in and release. Once you do this, the only remaining latches will pop out easily, you can just pick it up from where the keyboard meets it. If you attempt to pry it, you will probably break it.

Also, be aware that the black plastic does not separate from the blue plastic around it (well, it's blue on the one I worked on) -- don't try to pry between the two of them or you will just damage the plastic and make it look ugly.

Once you remove this speaker/power button panel, there is actually only one screw holding the keyboard in. Be aware that the way the ribbon cable connectors work is that there is a plastic thingie that you pull up on, just as if it was attached to a connector that plugged into a header. But they don't come off, once they pop up, it unlocks the ribbon cable connector and it will slide out without resistance, so don't pull on the ribbon cables before unlocking them.

Finally, I ran across these instructions because I needed to replace a power jack. As it turns out, I had to disassembly almost the entire laptop in order to accomplish this. I want to recommend to others replacing the power jack not to take the route I did. Instead, if you downloaded the service manual, there's a metal bracket labelled Ref.No. 62 (4-676-348-01 "BRACKET DC") that lies partially under the mobo with a plastic pin through it (that also penetrates the mobo). This is what required me to remove the mobo in order to get the power jack harness assembly out (labelled Ref.No. 71, 1-878-606-11 "JE.1 DC CABLE (INT)"). I say that it's not worth removing the entire mobo. When I was removing the cooling fan the thermal grease so strongly adhered it to the CPU that the CPU came out with it and I was scared that I damaged it as a result (the CPU socket was still locked). In fact, I had done this on a desktop a few years ago and the mobo was damaged afterwards. I have since learned the hair dryer trick -- you heat up the heat sink with a hair dryer prior to trying to remove it to make sure the grease is softened and lets go (gently attempting to rotate it from side to side helps as well).

So anyway, instead of removing the entire motherboard, I recommend that you simply bend the extension of the part labelled Ref.No 62 just where it comes out from underneath the mobo. Then, you can remove the power jack harness assembly. It bent back just fine and your life would be easier IMHO.

Thread Information