Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: E:\ Is Not Accessable There is not enough space on the disk

E:\ Is Not Accessable There is not enough space on the disk

Hi,

I have two hard drives on my system and both have worked fine for many months. Recently, one of them, "E" has been filled close to capacity (or even is completely full). The other drive, "C" has the OS on it (Win XP)

Using explorer, when I click on the drive I get the following error message:

E:\ Is Not Accessable There is not enough space on the disk

I am able to use "C" just fine. I have tried booting from a floppy to try to get to the drive. No luck. I have run western digital's diagnostics on it and it says the drive is fine. I also tried a program called, "PC File Inspector" - it detects the "E" drive and also shows the directory structure (apparently intact).

I'm trying to get into the drive so I can delete some file but I can't. Any suggestions?

Well you can go ahead and get rid of it the old fashion way and just format it...

Have you tried something simple? you could just try to make a DOS boot floppy, shoot it in, boot off it and then access it there..
    Compy
    Lappy Ver. 2.0
    Pentium IV Celeron @ 2.20GHz
    Pentium Dual Core @ 2.16GHz
    1.5GB RAM
    2GB RAM (soon to be upgraded to 4 gb)
    64MB Integrated Intel Graphics (i'm not a gamer, so i just use it for compatibility.)
    Intel GMA 4500 256MB
    Windows 2000/XP/ME
    Windows XP Pro

Here is some add'l system info

Win XP SP2
    The drive in question is a WD1200JB.

Intel P805
    1 Gig RAM
    Gigabyte MB

Let me know if specific info is needed and I'll post.

I tried that

I tried to boot to a floppy but after boot when I got the A: prompt I could not access either drive, C or D. Only the A dive. Weird.

The bios is seeing it like always, windows sees it, but I can't get at it.

I don't want to format it quite yet as there is a lot of data on there that I'd like to keep. ANd no, I don't have a back-up. I know, I'm an idiot!

See if you can access the drive from the command prompt.

Do the following:

1) Click Start--> Run
    2) In the box type cmd and press enter.
    3) You will be at a dos command prompt. It will be something like:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
    4) Type E: and press enter.
    5) You should see E:\>
    6) Type dir /ad and press enter
    7) This will list all of the directories on the E drive. Lets say one is called pics
    8) Type cd pics and press enter
    9) You will be at the E:\Pics> prompt
    10) type copy *.* c:\pics or wherever you want to place them on the C drive.
    11) Once this is done and you have confirmed the files have been copied, type erase *.* and press enter.
    12) Hopefully this will have cleared enough space on the E drive to allow you to use explorer to move the rest of the files.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Thanks CS, Itried that and when I get to the c:/documents and settings> and I type E: I get an error message saying, "There is not enough space on the disk".

This is truly madening!!

Do you know any of the folders on drive e?

Especially one you can afford to get rid of?
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Yes, Should I try to erase a directory? I have tried e:\dir and I get the same error message.

You will need to know a directory name.

A.J. Heschel

1. Scan the file system on E: to make sure all's well.
    a. Go to "Start->Run->[type cmd in the Open: window]->[click on OK]->[at the command prompt type chkdsk e: and hit "Enter"]"
    OR
    b. Make a FREE "Emergency Boot CD" [EBCD] and run "MS Scandisk" on the 2nd menu.
    That will scan the file systems on all the partitions on all internal HDD's.
    If they are FAT[32] file systems Scandisk will be able to fix any problems found, if NTFS it cannot write to those, so can find but cannot fix.

2. Access E: from outside of Windows.
    a. The EBCD "File Manager" [item 2, 1st menu][has a good GUI, can display 2 partitions side-by-side in its L/R panes, and] is able to read NTFS & FAT partitions/"drives", so you can use it to browse the contents of those [e.g. E:].
    b. It can manipulate folders/files, only on FAT partitions [not able to write to NTFS though] so you can DELETE folders/files on FAT [but not NTFS].
    c. The EBCD "WipeInfo" [2nd menu] can "Delete" and "Erase" drives/partitions/folders/files [only on FAT partitions].

d. You could load and run Knoppix from a Knoppix Linux Live CD, and [try to] use that to access the partition, but it's more tricky because you need to know how to do things in Linux.

e. I wonder if "Eraser" [running within Windows] would manage to access it?

3. How to make a free “Smart Boot Manager” floppy
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41498
    This makes it easier to boot a chosen drive [particularly the one holding the EBCD].

4. How to make a free EBCD bootable CD
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41485
    This has a number of useful utilities included including "Image" [for DOS, by Terabyte] & "File Manager".
    Last edited by Sylvander; 02-16-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Looking at the problem from another direction...

1. These "two hard drives"...
    a. Are they 2 separate physical HDD's?
    b. Or are they just partitions on a single physical HDD?

2. If 1b, you could non-destructively increase the size of E: [at the expense of C:].
    a. You'd use something like a FREE TRIAL version of "BootIT NG" [loaded from a bootable floppy or optical disk] to do that.
    b. Before doing that, "BootIT NG" could be used to make an image of [the contents of] partitions being changed, provided you have somewhere to save those images.

chkdsk results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gore Vidal>c:

C:\Documents and Settings\Gore Vidal>cd ..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd ..

C:\>chkdsk e:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is DRV1_VOL1.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.

117218240 KB total disk space.
    117046448 KB in 92599 files.
    15496 KB in 44636 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    156296 KB in use by the system.
    2048 KB occupied by the log file.
    0 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    29304560 total allocation units on disk.
    0 allocation units available on disk.

C:\>

Tried to erase from cmd prompt from within windows on c. All i get is the same error message about disk space. Unfortunately, the disk is NTFS.

Update

Was able to create a ebcd boot disk. Booted to it but it doesn't 'see' the e drive. I was able to use Diskedit to see the drive. It shows up as a physical device but not a logical one. Is there a way to delete some data using Diskedit?

OK.

New player on the field! Fruss Tray 'Ted' (Williams) as designated hitter!

IF there is any files you want to keep:

Find and or create an area large enough to house all the files you want to recover. USB enclosure if neccessary.

Then move (relocate) your Temp files to a spot like your DeskTop. Not TIF's I said Temp.

Also make sure you have whatever you need to open the files you want to recover. Your favorite picture program, Flash Player, WMP, if you like, MS Word or equivalent for .doc files, etc. Basically, be ready for any files you will encounter.

Download the free Get Data Back for NTFS and install on C:

Run the program choosing the default option. Direct the search to the proper partition. When it is done running there will be a list of folders. Open one and go to a group of files you want to recover such as folder 'A' movie files. Double click on one (file) and after a couple seconds, close it. Do this for the next one in the same group, repeating until you have all the files you want out of that group. Open your 'Temp Files' and there will be all the files you just opened as copies of the ones you just viewed. Select All, choose Cut, and Paste them to wherever you want, into a named folder of your choosing, in the area you set aside for recovery (the usb enclossure maybe?). They will all have odd names that you can rename later. Repeat as needed keeping a clean Temp File as you go.

This is not quite saving folders with files in them (batch saves) but it is close. It is however the fastest way I have come up with to doing them one at a time.

Repeat this process until you have all you want recovered. Make sure you confirm success before continuing below:

BACKUP!
    Burn to cd or dvd now!

Reboot to your choice of utility disk and format the drive recovered (NOT the usb ). If desired, you can relocate the recovered files back into the original area you just recovered them from.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Last edited by Fruss Tray Ted; 02-16-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1. "Was able to create a ebcd boot disk. Booted to it but it doesn't 'see' the e drive"
    Huh?
    It's individual programs that would see or not see.
    Did you try running the "File Manager"? [Item 2 on the 1st menu]
    Do you need instructions on how to choose a "drive" [in File Manager] to display its contents?
    Did you try using "MS Scandisk" and "WipeInfo"?
    What about the "Drive Fitness Test" utility?

2. I was able to use Diskedit to see the drive. It shows up as a physical device"
    Is that because it is indeed a physical device, not a logical device?

3. Is there a way to delete some data using Diskedit?"
    There is indeed, but I'm no expert at doing it, and I find it one of the least easy ways to delete. I've only just managed to delete part of a folder "Long Filename" [LFN].
    It involves:
    a. Configure DiskEdit to run in WRITE mode [DANGEROUS].
    b. Navigate to the beginning of a folder or file name [long names take up a number of lines (perhaps 3) starting at the bottom and working up!]
    c. Place the cursor at the first character on the 1st line of the name. If you delete a folder that doesn't delete the files it holds; just makes them orphans!
    If you delete [the end] PART of a folder name, the name in windows reverts to a short DOS name.
    d. Hit "Ctrl+E" to erase/delete. The instructions say a sigma should replace the 1st character, but when I did it to the 3rd & end part of a folder name, "Deleted" appeared slightly to the right.

Going with a similar idea to Ted's...

1. It's possible to use a FREE TRIAL of "Image for DOS" [by TeraByte] to make an image of E: to a file [in a folder] on another [NTFS] partition [C: say].

2. Then install a [FREE] copy of "TBIview" [by TeraByte] and run that from within Windows and see if it can access the folders and files and try restoring one or two to a [folder] location of your choice [not on E:][to test whether it will work].

3. Then reformat E: [zero-fill and repartition first if you like].

4. Then restore as many of the folders and files as you like from within the image backup file of E:

Spoiled for choice eh?

If emptying the recycle bin and checking whether there is any paging file on E that could be reduced are not feasible then partition manipulation would seem the best option.

First make data safe by backing up the whole partition as an image file using IforD or BiNG. If there's enough room on C to hold a compressed image of E then that is one option or else backup to CDs/DVDs or an external drive.

You could next try using BiNG to resize C downwards and E upwards (this would be the most straightforward though with a very full E this may not work). Otherwise go with Sylvander and format E before restoring files using TBIview.

One late thought: Deleting files or directories using the recovery console might be feasible since this should visualise NTFS partitions OK and since its outside windows might not generate the full drive messages.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Talking Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all! I was able to boot to EBCD and then use DiskEdit to fill in about 500,000 sectors. Upon reboot E:\ had a little free space (about 1 gb) and I was able to access it! From there I was able to delete about 15gb of useless stuff and recoved the rest - ALL IS WELL.

A miracle has happened, I can't believe it. Thanks to Sylvander!!! And everyone else!!!

Now I am going to back up.

Yes back up. I also think you may have been lucky because I certainly wouldn't recommend using a disk editor in that fashion to delete folders (which under ntfs are actually files) from an NTFS partition since if you damage the MFT you can lose a lot of data almost irretrievably - unless you had made an image of the partition first. On FAT its not so dangerous.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

"I was able to boot to EBCD and then use DiskEdit to fill in about 500,000 sectors"
    Could you give us the details of how that's done?

Any increased understanding on the use of DiskEdit I'd greatly appreciate.

Thread Information