Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Data Recovery Problem

Data Recovery Problem

Hi All

a few days back i got my HD corrupted (system wont detect any HD)
    i formatted it using fdisk
    i wanted all my data so i used "Recover My Files" for this
    i got all the data

Now The Problem is that none of the recovered files opens, all of them are corrupted, i tried to use some repairing softwares but no one was successful , it seems to be a header file problem or some thing i am not able to guess

some body has any solution ?
    i desperately need to get all the files fixed, it was some one else's data

Slave the drive into another PC and use a program called GetDataBack
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

To be of the greatest help to you, you need to explain more precisely just exactly what you did and what happened. And ... are all files corrupt or only certain file types. And was the original partition FAT or NTFS formatted.

Fdisk does not do any formatting, for example, and if the "System wouldn't detect any HDD then how were you able to detect the drive to allow "Recover My Files" to function.

All fdisk is usually used for is for deleting partitions. Deleted partitions can be reinstated fairly easily if that is what happened. It may just be that you need to rebuild the partition tables using TestDisk or BootIt-NG and then access the drive directly from another PC. GDB might or might not be successful but its possible there is a more straightforward approach. If you are going to experiment and the data is vital to you then use GDB or another imaging facility to make a clone of the problematic disk first.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    To be of the greatest help to you, you need to explain more precisely just exactly what you did and what happened. And ... are all files corrupt or only certain file types. And was the original partition FAT or NTFS formatted.

Fdisk does not do any formatting, for example, and if the "System wouldn't detect any HDD then how were you able to detect the drive to allow "Recover My Files" to function.

All fdisk is usually used for is for deleting partitions. Deleted partitions can be reinstated fairly easily if that is what happened. It may just be that you need to rebuild the partition tables using TestDisk or BootIt-NG and then access the drive directly from another PC. GDB might or might not be successful but its possible there is a more straightforward approach. If you are going to experiment and the data is vital to you then use GDB or another imaging facility to make a clone of the problematic disk first.

Thanx a lot Paul
    Now let me tell u what actually happened

1. Firstly the machine is a compaq Evo N610c laptop with NTFS and win 2000
    2. After normal use I put the system on stand by (thats what i did)
    3. when i restarted i was not able to get to the desktop, after pressing the Ctr+Alt+Del key the system was not taking me to any where even if the password was wrong it wont tell me

4. I tried to repair the windows with Win 2000 install CD, that was when the setup said that no c drive could be detected

5. then I put in the Win 98 install CD, and from there i ran the fdisk which was able to format the drive (there is only one partition of 30 GB)

6. After that format, i was able to install win 2000, that i did

7. Now, after installing all the drivers and stuff, i began with the recovery with recover my files and with FinalRecovery as well, both of the SWs gave me the same results , all filetypes were corrupted not even a single file was useable of the 11 GB i recovered

So that was what happened

Now i am using "PhotoRescue professional" to fix all the JPEGS at least and that SW is giving me good results (i tried by giving it a few of the jpegs)

I have all the data with me in an external HD but the problem is what i explained

what i need the most are Pictures, MS Office files, WMVs, MOVs, 3GPs

that all hew:

thanx for replying

The basic problem you have is that you have installed over previous data. Some files will be overwritten partially or completely. If you are lucky you will get reasonable amounts of data back but it all depends on where on the drive any data file was and on where the original mft file was compared to the current one.

I wish you luck but I doubt if there is much else that can be done other than to look for text file segments with a hex editor - a long winded exercise and not really applicable to the sorts of files you seem to want to recover.

For the future - never write ANYTHING to a drive you hope to recover data from and only access as data partitions from a completely dfferent OS on another medium, be it another hard drive or a live CD.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information