Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Linksys Router not working with Motorola Surfboard Modem

Linksys Router not working with Motorola Surfboard Modem

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB4200 cable modem. It's working fine.

Then I try to plus in a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless router. :fou:

This is what I did:

Motorola Cable modem is on 192.168.100.1
    Linksys is on 192.168.1.1 (DHCP enabled)

I went in and changed the SSID (shouldn't pose a problem)
    Secured the network with WEP

I can connect to the router, but it says limited connectivity. Something is wrong.

I thought maybe it was the ip addresses so I tried:

changing the wireless ip to 192.168.1.2, 192.168.100.2...with no luck.

disabled dhcp and that didn't work either (this time the wired connection didn't work either).

Help!! What am I doing wrong?

The modem needs to be plugged into the 'Internet' port on the router...

As complete reset is probably in order...Reset the Router to factory default by pressing the Reset button for 10 seconds and then releasing it.

What is the computer you are trying to connect...specs and Windows 'flavor'...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

I reset the router. I shut off the wireless router AND cable modem, waited about 30 seconds and reconnected.

Here is my wiring: Ethernet from Surfboard Cable Modem going to Linksys Wireless Router via the "internet" port. Then a 2nd eternet cable coming from slot #1 on wireless router to "base" computer. The base computer is running XP (let's call it base) and it's working fine as far as the internet.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron and is running Vista. It sees the linksys router and connects to it, but says limited connectivity.

Since resetting the linksys router, it's sitting on 192.168.1.1. The home ip of my cable modem is 192.168.100.1

It seems it's working! I swear I've tried this over and over and it hasn't worked.

Now if I go and change the SSID and encrypt my network I hope I don't lose internet like before!

Umm...more details on the laptop. Specifically model...service tag # if you don't mind...I want to try to find the details for the wireless card in the laptop.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

I don't understand why I have to give you the service tag. I'm not sure if I should be doing that. It's a Dell Inspiron 1721 running Vista. I just don't feel comfortable giving you the service tag # to my computer?!

I am also using Windows Live One Care.

When I changed the SSID, and put on WEP security, I was no longer able to connect with my laptop.

Under the Network & Sharing Center is says that my signal strength is excellent, but I have limited connectivity.

I'm wondering what changed when I changed the SSID and WEP so that it wouldn't work anymore. I even tried unplugging the wireless router and plugging back in.
    Last edited by rjmiller15; 09-17-2008 at 10:05 PM.

I hope you don't think I am being rude and you will still help me

I've been trying to get this stupid thing to work for 2 weeks now. I'm tired of stealing my neighbor's wireless (which keeps dropping signal)

Does it work if connected with a patch cable?
    I would do a complete reset on the router again, remember a Reset is not the same thing as power cycling.
    If it still does not work, try calling Linksys support, they are good at helping over the phone.

The service tag info is nothing that will compromise your security, it just lets us pull up the configuration from Dell"s website to show what was in it at the time it was built.

I connect with an eternet cable to the wireless router and yes it works. I'm beginning to think it's some setting in my laptop that's jacking it up.

I'm so frustrated! ACCKKKK

by the way my network adapters are

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

AND

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card

The thing about the service tag is it provides the exact configuration information...not the generic. Since most people buy Dells because they are 'configurable' having the service tag # makes it easier to pin down what you have out of several options...for that model there are 4 possible wireless cards.

Quote Originally Posted by rjmiller15 View Post
    Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card
    Ok, so it isn't the Wireless N 'Draft' card...so we can eliminate that possible incompatibility.

Exact 'flavor' of Vista...

Windows Vista Home Premium

Disable ALL firewalls. Whenever you can't connect, it's usually the firewall.....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Okay, I removed the firewall, and then I went in and took off the WEP security making my network insecure.

I then enabled the firewall again, and here I am on the network (it's working!).

So somewhere in the security, it's getting screwed up.

I've already tried WEP security with 64 bit and 128 bit. Neither will work.

It will only work when I leave the network unsecure (which I don't want to do). What now?

As for the WEP issue...what version is your router (there were four...the version number is on the sticker on the bottom)?

Now go in, and change the network name. Connect to the "new network" then setup the security. You should be good to go....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

There are a number of compatibility updates for that router...but it is still possible that it is old enough (last firmware update was in 2005) that there may be problems between it and the card...so Security may not be able to be enabled...

It is an old 'B' router, so it may not even be able to get WEP to a current enough version to work with the card...that was one of the reasons I wanted to know what wireless card was in the laptop. If it was the N card, then almost assuredly the card would have been too 'new' for the router, as it is, the last firmware version, that mentions WEP takes the passphrase to 31 characters...

Thread Information