Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Compaq Proliant ML310 without OS

Compaq Proliant ML310 without OS

Purchased a restored Compaq Proliant ML310 without an OS. It's got two 40MB HDs; DVD CD/ROM; 1 MB of RAM;
    2 GHZ Pentium processor.

When I power up, it goes through POST ok and then stops.
    No mention of detecting the DVD/CD ROM drive. I tried to load Windows XP-Pro via CD, and drive light comes on, but nothing after that. Don't know what key would take me to Setup procedure during POST.

Tried a boot CD but no luck there either. Any thoughts on where to go from here? If I could get to setup, might be able to do something.

CFJ

Check the cable and the jumper pin on the optical drive...make sure the cable is seated properly and that the drive is set to Master, if it is on the end connector or the only item on the cable.

Also, enter the BIOS and try to manually detect it...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Typical BIOS configuration settings for Hewlett Packard & Compaq PC's.
    You should study this and check various configurations; they are very important, some settings would prevent the PC booting from various disks.

Are the F9 & F10 prompts displayed on screen during POST? [They need to be set to be displayed]

F9: Clicking this during POST brings up a device boot list menu.
    Choosing a drive to boot from this list over-rides the boot list sequence set in the BIOS Setup.

F10
    : Blipping the F10 key should take you into the BIOS Setup.
    I'm not sure whether blipping this [when the F10 prompt is not set to display on-screen] will take you into the BIOS Setup; try it anyway.

Sylvander: Will try those. No prompts displayed on screen during post.
    MJC: DVD/CD rom set for Master. Plugged on end of cable.
    As you see above, cannot enter BIOS, but will use Sylvander's suggestions.

CFJ

F1, F2, F10 and Delete don't take me into BIOS. Will try F9 and see what happens.

CFJ

QUOTE:
    Using Computer Setup (F10)
    Computer setup can be accessed only by turning on the workstation or restarting the system.
    To access the Computer Setup utilities menu, complete the following steps:
    Turn on or restart the workstation. If you are in Windows, click Start , Shut Down , then restart the Computer.
    Press the F10 key as soon as the monitor light turns green.

Thread Information