Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Mouse Problems

I'm having a mouse problem, myself, that seems similar. I've got a HP Pavilion notebook. Here's the problem:

'Finger Pad' mouse "single click to bring up icon(programme)menu, or 'double click' to directly open programme" feature is not working.

For instance, to open a programme on the desktop, instead of the previous "move the cursor to the icon and 'double click' on the finger pad to open the programme" function, I have to put the cursor on the icon (via the finger pad), and use the right 'button' to bring up the icon's (programme's) menu, then move the cursor to 'Open', and single click with the finger pad, or single click with the mouse 'right button'.

I've looked at the control panel mouse properties, and the only thing I can find that might apply to this lack of function is that under 'Gestures', the left and right corner assign both show 'none' - there is an option 'Easy Launcher' - should I select these option, and then Apply, to restore the previous 'double click the finger pad' operation? It seems the likely means to restore the function, but I would really appreciate someone who understands computers giving me the 'thumbs up' on that idea ... :~}
    {D {D {D 2U (Lots of Acorns to You) from
    The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
    "What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS!
    Then, there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!"
    --Skwerlbaitbev--

In the right-click context menu, is Open the default [heavy black] or not?
    When you "Choose" an item with the left button [double or single click] the "Default Action" [black action in the right-click menu] is given effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    In the right-click context menu, is Open the default [heavy black] or not?
    When you "Choose" an item with the left button [double or single click] the "Default Action" [black action in the right-click menu] is given effect.

Yes, when 'right button' clicked, the cursor-selected programme's context menu will appear, and the menus all show 'Open' as the default-selected option. What is different is that the 'finger pad' previously would open any desktop or control panel programme by simply moving the cursor to the desired programme icon, and tapping the finger pad twice, quickly.
    --Skwerlbaitbev--

It's best not to piggy back so I have moved the relevant posts as a new thread. The OP of the other thread had the apparent software problem solved by getting a new mouse; it was an intrinsic hardware problem.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks, Paul. I should have opened a new thread - I was thinking that the solution would be something really simple, that the respondents to N's thread would know right off the top. It's really not a tragedy, anyway - it's not like I cannot open programmes. It just seems weird that the finger pad won't open programmes as it has done, all along.
    --Skwerlbaitbev--

Which operating system because if it's software related then a System Restore could be well worth a shot.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Take a look in your mouse properties, again, and see if there is a setting related to "Tapping". This is the setting my mouse pad uses for the double tapping, which I disabled. Don't like that, I seem to double tap when I don't need it.
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

Which file types does this happen with?
    Only exe files? Or all kinds?

Okay, get out the bricks ... Found the problem ... Under 'Mouse Properties', 'Buttons', the 'Double Click Speed' test area 'slow to fast' lever was set to the extreme right 'fast' setting - evidently 'out' of the 'slow to fast' range, altogether. I moved that lever just slightly to the left of the 'fast' mark, and voilà. Normal function is back.

Paul, sorry, I should also have mentioned that I'm using Windows XP Home, SP3. Sassie05, although I knew my 'Tapping' tab had a green check in the 'tapping' box, it was your suggesting that I check that which made me notice the 'Double Click Test Area' lever, on the 'Buttons' tab, so thanks, and a tip o' the hat!

Sigh. The more I learn, the less I know ... reminds me of these lyrics:

There are times I almost think
    I am not sure of what I absolutely know.
    Very often find confusion
    In conclusion I concluded long ago
    In my head are many facts
    That, as a student, I have studied to procure,
    In my head are many facts..
    Of which I wish I was more certain I was sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxrSprn74Nw
    --Skwerlbaitbev--

I have my mouse configured to hover to select, and single-click to choose.

That would have avoided the problem I think.

Thread Information