Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PS3 fails at update via USB

PS3 fails at update via USB

Ok, I have a 250gb hard drive installed in my ps3 currently, but I had it in a previous ps3 i borrowed from a friend till i bought my own so i had the most current update when i swapped it over to my brand new one (3.01) but the ps3 just keeps going to a screen that says "this software can't be loaded blah blah blah restart the system or enter a usb that has a system update of 3.01 or later"

READ THIS CAREFULLY

I formatted my usb drive to fat32 format

I created the PS3/UPDATE folder in it

I put the update into the UPDATE folder

I plugged it into my ps3 and yet it just keeps saying no applicable updates can be found, so what the hell am I supposed to do? my ps3 won't update via usb, I can't even get to the XMB with my 250g hard drive, so am I out $50 or what?

DO NOT TELL ME THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PROPERLY PUT THE UPDATE ON MY USB, I'M SICK OF GETTING THAT AS A RESPONSE, I KNOW HOW TO AND I HAVE DONE IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!!

Thank you

did you purchase the system in the US?
    if not, you need the regional update.... (i think)

if all else fails:
    try formatting the HD, and letting the system software installed on a Flash RAM chip on the motherboard take care of it...
    -But, put the HD into a computer and save the files on it (game files/saves) into some USB drives, and format it, then put it into a PS3 and let it take care of the problem...

also, did you try the update again? perhaps the download is corrupted... or the file on sony's side is bad...

while it has been said:
    this is what you are trying to do?
    http://www.us.playstation.com/Suppor...PC_Update.html

my suggestion, hook it up directly to the INTERNET (hard line) and download it..
    Last edited by Ajmukon; 11-12-2009 at 12:48 AM.
    My Computer:
    DELL XPS 400
    250 GB HD & 80 GB HD and 500 GB HD
    ATI Radeon x1950 256 MB PCIe (upgrading soon)
    Intel Pentium D 2.79Ghz with 3.0 GB RAM + 15GB pagefile
    DVD-ROM ; CD-RW; floppy
    17" Monitor and 20" Widescreen dual
    Looking to upgrade my PSU to a 650 Watt

Internet Help Desk

My City Visit daily!

we are not unreasonable... i mean, we wont eat your eyes

Sorry for the wait, Yes that link you supplied is what I'm trying to do, I've done everything I'm supposed to do (make PS3 root folder -> UPDATES or w/e those instructions were) and it still doesn't recognize it. My problem is that i cannot even get to the xmb on the ps3 with my 250g hard drive, all i get is a big long message that basically says the ps3 can't install cuz of missmatched software versions yet i can't load them off of the usb drive to update the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by astoroth88 View Post
    Sorry for the wait, Yes that link you supplied is what I'm trying to do, I've done everything I'm supposed to do (make PS3 root folder -> UPDATES or w/e those instructions were) and it still doesn't recognize it. My problem is that i cannot even get to the xmb on the ps3 with my 250g hard drive, all i get is a big long message that basically says the ps3 can't install cuz of missmatched software versions yet i can't load them off of the usb drive to update the damn thing.
    Ouch.. well, the only thing i can think of is to reformat the HD and let the system take care of it after taking all the savedata on it off.
    My Computer:
    DELL XPS 400
    250 GB HD & 80 GB HD and 500 GB HD
    ATI Radeon x1950 256 MB PCIe (upgrading soon)
    Intel Pentium D 2.79Ghz with 3.0 GB RAM + 15GB pagefile
    DVD-ROM ; CD-RW; floppy
    17" Monitor and 20" Widescreen dual
    Looking to upgrade my PSU to a 650 Watt

Internet Help Desk

My City Visit daily!

we are not unreasonable... i mean, we wont eat your eyes

solution found?

Have you founda solution for this yet? Im in the same boat you are. I recently bought a PS3 40 GB online, and bought a new WD 250 GB drive for it. I spent about 4 hours last night trying to get my ps3 to recognize the new hard drive, but still cant figure it out. Every time I try to install it and restart it, it just asks for the 3.15 system update, which I already downloaded, and put on a usb stick in the \PS3\UPDATE folder. I even tried burning it to a CD, both in the root, and in the proper folder path, but it still says it cant find the update. this morning i even tried putting the update on my ipod, but it cant see that either. I even tried using a 60 GB drive I had from a previous computer purchase, but neither one are recognized. What am I doing wrong? Is there an "update" that I need to do first to make sure the ps3 knows its in the right "region"? my model is CECHH01. I know it said "NTSC" on the back, but im not sure of the exact designation, ie, "J", "U/C", etc. If you get yours figured out, i would love to know what you did to get it working.

fixed!

I have gotten this to work. I think that the problem was on Sony's end. Right before I tried to change out my hard drive, I updated my PS3 to the latest version, 3.15. After putting in the new drive, it kept asking me for version 3.15 or newer from an external source, USB, cd, etc. I think the version that was available on Sony's website was either corrupt, or wasnt the latest version though. I tried it again last night, re-downloading the update, putting in the "\PS3\UPDATE\" folder, and retrying the hard drive install. This time, it correctly found the update on the USB and installed the hard drive successfully!

Thread Information