Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows Xp problem.

Windows Xp problem.

I restarted my computer earlier today and at the restart it now says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt". The file it lists is \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I put in the windows xp cd and went to setup and repair and when it gets to 6 minutes remaining it restarts and gives me the same message about a missing or corrupt file. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to manually put the file back in off the cd or anything else I could try.

Umm...that file isn't really missing, it's just corrupt. It is a large portion of the registry. Try restarting in 'last known good'...(hit the F8 key right before Windows starts to load...select LKG from the list).
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Ok I tried last known good and it still gives me the same message.

If a repair install isn't working and last known good isn't then you may have a drive problem. Do you have any means of hooking the drive to another machine to either back up the data or scan it?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

I installed a 2nd version of windows and I can access the hard drive. Is there a way I can repair the other version of windows in this way?

Thread Information