Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PLEASE HELP! Doesnt boot or anything. x

PLEASE HELP! Doesnt boot or anything. x

I recently fitted 2gb of RAM to a very old computer and this was working fine until a few days ago. I leave my computer on sometimes for days on end. My girlfriend came to use it while i was out and said it had frozen, she then switched it off at the wall and it hasnt come back on since. There is still a little green light on the front but none of the fans are working. I took the cover back off and noticed a red LED light on the motherboard and this is on when the power is on too. I did notice that the fan starts for a fraction of a second and then stops. No other sounds or lights, nothing, just the red LED on the board and the green LED on the front. Any ideas, anyone please?x

Sounds like a faulty Power Supply Unit (PSU).
    Swap the PSU for a known working unit of similar specifications.
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

try reconnecting all power leads and unplug your PC and shut the switch off for 2 minutes before starting and then recheck PSU for fault (as it doesn't start).......then try another PSu and see if it fixes the prob..................
    Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/OC'ed 3770k @4.2GHz/32g G Skill/OC'ed GTX780 @1063MHz-6608MHz/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/OC'ed 2500k @ 4.1GHz/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/TA785G3+/Athone 2 x 4 640 OC'ed @3.442 GHz/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

Thread Information