Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Benchmarking - Testing PC

Benchmarking - Testing PC

I've switched back to the P4 2.5GHz system below and it really seems like it's dragging. i.e., the Quick Links flyout on this forum takes about 2 seconds to come out and youtube videos studder here and there.

I'm DL 3DMark05 now and will run the free version, are there any other good freeware testing apps? Anything to look for to check for configuration problems?

2886 3DMarks
    2313 CPUMarks

stalker: call of papyate (sp?) is the only free one that i know of off the top of my head, but I don't do much benching.

What did you have before you switched back, it could just be the processor isn't capable of keeping up? or you could be having issues with ram. what OS are you running? and I'm not gonna lie not sure if I will be much help as that predates me, but i will give it my best.

I built this system about 5 years ago as my primary machine until I inherited an HP Pavillion a747c (the 2.8 P4 below) about a year ago.

I've always had trouble with the 2.5, but thought I had it worked out, but it just seems slow now, and it has been giving me fits on cold boots (locks up).

One observation I just made was that puppy linux could not see the C drive for about 10 minutesthrough multiple boots. I thought I was having memory timing issues, but it may be something else. The system usually runs fine though after it gets going.

I just wanted to see if everything performs as it should (i.e., is the video card actually close, running AGP mode, and CPU/memory bandwidths, ect.).

One of the puppy linux benchmarks puts my cpu about 50% slower than a sample pentium 1.5GHz, so it makes me wonder...

I tried Call Of Pripyat Benchmark, but it seems not to run, just hangs for about 10 minutes after it tries to load a FS.

When I installed, it said my directX was out of date. I was running 9.0c, and after installing it's updated DX, I'm still running 9.0c.

The direct3d test does not seem to work - the spinning globe is more like a blur.

Thread Information