Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Advice on replacing my PCI express WAN card Toshiba L300D

Advice on replacing my PCI express WAN card Toshiba L300D

I am not sure if this is in the right section, my apologies if it should be in hardware here goes,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D laptop I need to replace my Atheros AR5007EG PCI express wireless network card as my current one has given up the ghost.

My question to you is, do I have to replace my broken network card with the same model? or will any WAN card work in my machine if I have the right drivers?

If I can only use an Atheros network card is there an updated model that I can use?

Any help greatly received.
    If we all wake up we could change this world forever

You will not be able to replace the card. Your best bet is a USB wireless adapter.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Quote Originally Posted by classicsoftware View Post
    You will not be able to replace the card. Your best bet is a USB wireless adapter.
    Oh that is a shame, can I ask why ? is it built in to the motherboard?.

Funny enough I am currently using a USB adapter its great and works but it is a little fragile. (hence wanting to see if I could replace the original)

Thanks for your time
    If we all wake up we could change this world forever

There are some on eBay. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

Working inside laptops can be a bit finnicky if you cannot get hold of a service manual but these cards are not physically difficult to insert once you have disassembled enough to reach them.

You might want or need to remove the old one even if you go for a USB solution - that is if you cannot disable it properly if it causes any conflicts.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

This is actually quite easy, I know since I just did it a few minutes ago, and am typing on the "new" wireless card now.

Use the pictures here as a guide:

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...eo-cable-1.htm

You want to only do step two and step three. Note that my bezel came out easier by hooking my fingernails in on the screen side and gently pulling towards me. Putting a screwdriver in on the keyboard side and prying away from me seemed to take more pressure than I was willing to apply. Also my keyboard had catches at the middle left and middle right that needed a gentle pry to release it.

With the keyboard screws out, you can lay it back over the trackpad which exposes the wireless. Mine had an RTL8192E, which has absolute crap driver support in linux, so it simply had to go. I'd got an intel 4965AGN from an abandoned/failed wireless router as my replacement - figuring driver support couldn't be any worse than the 8192E junk.

In the link above, in step 6, you can see the wireless module. Note the top which has black and white antenna connectors. Gently pop the two antenna cables off the old wireless module. Use a jewellers screwdriver and try and have them come up straight, vs. having them leaned heavily to one side.

Mine had the black and white reversed compared to the pic at the link above, so orientation is probably not an issue and both laptop antennae are equal.

With the two antennae off the module, undo the two screws and let the wireless module come up and then out of the socket just like a laptop memory module. Pop in the new module, wiggle it left and right a bit until the screw holes are centered over the screw threads in the laptop and replace the screws.

On my intel wireless module, there were wireless sockets with label across the top in the order 1-3-2. In the busted junk router, only ant #1 was connected. I assumed that connecting in order was the right thing, and connected #1 and #2, leaving the middle one (#3) without connection.

When installing the white and black antennae leads, install them by trying to keep them flat and square to the board as you press them down (i.e no angles or side pressures). They take a fair bit of pressure to push them down, so you want to be 100% sure you have the connector oriented properly and not leaned off to one side when you push it on.

At this point, you just reverse the removal of the keyboard and bezel. I found that installing each end of the bezel 1st, and then snapping it down towards the middle from both ends worked well for the reinstall.

The intel wireless card works great, and the native linux drivers found it on their own with no manual intervention/changes. Not only that, but it is supposed to be B/G/N too!

Good luck, hope this helps someone. The disassembly page sure helped me find the wireless module to begin with, and feel confident to attack the problem.

Thread Information