Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: New pc building

New pc building

Hi, I was thinking of building my pc but I have a few questions I thought you
    could help since I am a beginner with this..
    First, can you tell if the hardware I think to build is good:
    Z68/H67/P67 chipset motherboard
    intel core i5 2500
    GTX 460 1GB
    any 500W PSU
    2x2GB RAM 1333Hz DDR3
    250GB HDD
    any CD/DVD drive.
    First, I wanted to know if the hardware I chose would work together, and if it would, will it perform well?
    Second, Do I have to use such an expensive video card, or I can buy other low cost and still keep the graphics running well?
    Last, is the motherboard really important or I can buy cheap one as long as it is compatible with the CPU?
    Thanks

First off, you did not mention which "h", "P", or "Z" MB you are considering?

A motherboard is the single most important thing you have in a PC...............that's why it's called the Motherboard..........but yes, you can buy a cheap one if you like if it is compatable with the CPU....(socket 1155 for that cpu)......and speaking of the CPU, just a 2500 and not the "k" version, only $10 more in most cases and you get to OC the 2500k if you have the "P" or "Z"

"H"67 are not freindly to OC'ing
    "P"67 are good for OC'ing but not so good for OC'ing GPU
    "Z"68 are good for OC'ing both CPU and GPU

650W 80+ certified brand name is recommended for todays gaming PC's...MINIMUM.......yes I know you could get buy on a 500W but that will decrease as time will wear it out some..........and for the next GPU upgrades you will need something more

If you do not plan on gaming then any new inexpensive GPU will work for keeping the graphics loading...........can't see why you would consider that with all the nice stuff you are building
    And if you are NOT going to OC or GAME or use two GPU's, then you can go with the 2500 and the "H" MB and a cheaper GPU (you would save a few dollars)
    Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/3770k/32g G Skill/GTX780/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/2500k/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/UP45-UD3R/Q6600/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 1T Blk/WD 500 Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

Thread Information