Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: I can not connect to the router

I can not connect to the router

After updating my linksys wrt54gs with dd-wrt firmware and doing all the configuring, my Toshiba A25-S207 laptop running windows XP will not connect to the router. My HP laptop running windows 7 ultimate had no problems connecting after I entered the web key. My Dad's laptop with windows Vista was connected after just two minutes on it. I already put in a good 2 hours trying with this computer. Can someone help me with this situation?

I just want to add this bit of info. When trying to ping the router from the Toshiba laptop this is what I got.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dunnie.HOME-C373047E52>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Hardware error.
    Hardware error.
    Hardware error.
    Hardware error.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Dunnie.HOME-C373047E52>

I don't know what hardware, it can't be the router because that is what I am using now with the HP laptop to post.

Can you try connecting the Toshiba with a LAN cable? Perhaps the wireless card in the laptop is disabled, shut off or defective.

Quote Originally Posted by FTT View Post
    Can you try connecting the Toshiba with a LAN cable? Perhaps the wireless card in the laptop is disabled, shut off or defective.
    Thanks for your reply FTT, but I did try that and I still can't connect. I think it is something I am doing wrong in the network settings on the laptop.

DLeonR,

Can you connect to the router on the HP using the same Cat-5 cable you attempted to use on the Toshiba? The reason I'm asking is to ensure the Cat-5 cable works properly and we're not introducing a red herring into the equation.

Click on Start, Run, type in CMD.EXE and then hit the Enter key. Within the Command Line Interface (CLI), type in PING 127.0.0.1 and then hit the Enter key. This is what's known as a loopback address, and is useful for checking to see the TCP/IP stack is corrupt. If you cannot ping it properly, have a look at this Microsoft page for instructions on how to reset TCP/IP, and then try again.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by LochLomonder View Post
    DLeonR,

Can you connect to the router on the HP using the same Cat-5 cable you attempted to use on the Toshiba? The reason I'm asking is to ensure the Cat-5 cable works properly and we're not introducing a red herring into the equation.

Click on Start, Run, type in CMD.EXE and then hit the Enter key. Within the Command Line Interface (CLI), type in PING 127.0.0.1 and then hit the Enter key. This is what's known as a loopback address, and is useful for checking to see the TCP/IP stack is corrupt. If you cannot ping it properly, have a look at this Microsoft page for instructions on how to reset TCP/IP, and then try again.
    Thanks for the help LochLomonder, everything worked great with the HP laptop but nothing with the Toshiba. However, I came to find out that the wireless Lan Mini pci card in the Toshiba will need other drivers for it to work with WPA, what I have only work with WEP. Now, the drivers that I need is
    7.82.0.550(22/9/2003. I already wasted one and a half hours looking for this driver. When I think I locate it at various websites, they keep me going around in circles and I can't get the download. I am beginning to become frustrated so I will leave things alone and take a breather.
    After getting the driver for the mini card I will have to do the same for the Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Ethernet NIC.

I am just posting back to say all is well! I found the upgrade drivers for this old laptop that would support the wap features on the upgraded router after a day and a half of searching.

Thread Information