Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Free Tool "ARO 2012" to speed up computer?

Free Tool "ARO 2012" to speed up computer?

I have an extremely slow computer and I found this free tool called "ARO 2012" at How Life Works and it is supposed to scan one's computer and make one's computer faster. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of it and if it is legitimate. Thank you.

http://www.howlifeworks.com/Article....382D6&si_id=96
    "Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

If you look hard you can see a business history:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Support.com

The millions of so-called registry error softwares out on the market for the most part a BS and not worth your time because they claim the errors ar almost always from the registry when in reality, most errors are NEVER in the registry. Your reg can contain loads of dead links and files and it not affect your performance at all IMO.

It's not free, only the first 100 'problem' files found are free to fix. Well just take one guess on how many 'fake' problem files the software is going to find...

Edit:
    Wow, Looking at PrntRhd's link to Wikipedia, talk about a chameleon with a million names!! All to hide it's uselessness as per usual with such softwares

Ok, thanks fellas.

crestwood,

I got your message and just wanted to check with you to clarify the issue. Since your PC is working extremely slowly, can you give an example of what it's doing? For instance, does it take ages to boot up to the desktop? Is it really slow when using applications on the PC?
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FTT View Post
    The millions of so-called registry error softwares out on the market for the most part a BS and not worth your time because they claim the errors ar almost always from the registry when in reality, most errors are NEVER in the registry. Your reg can contain loads of dead links and files and it not affect your performance at all IMO.
    Not entirely...

A smaller registry IS more efficient, easier and faster to read.

And that's the 'theory' behind all those programs.

But...

None of them can return the registry to its 'pristine' state, as it was when first installed (that's when it is its 'leanest'/'fastest').

Yes, removing the 'dead' links can 'speed' up a machine...but it really takes a lot of them to have a visible impact (as in several megabytes worth...and most machines just don't have that much junk in the registry). Plus some of the so-called 'dead' links aren't really dead...just not active. If I remember correctly (it's been several years...it was after XP had been out a while, before Vista came out though), one of the magazines ran a test and basically it boiled down to needing to trim the registry files by several MB (3 or 4) before there was more than a fraction of a second of detectable improvement.

Running the Windows built in cleaners...to clean up temp files and such, actually do more to speed up things than all those registry 'cleaners'. The same with browser cache cleaning, cookie removal and not having too many fonts on the machine. Cleaning/not using thumbnails is also a good way to speed up an older machine. Stopping not used/background services is another way to speed things up...if you use a third party disk burning software, you don't really need the built in Windows one, too...same with firewall, AV and many others.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by LochLomonder View Post
    crestwood,

I got your message and just wanted to check with you to clarify the issue. Since your PC is working extremely slowly, can you give an example of what it's doing? For instance, does it take ages to boot up to the desktop? Is it really slow when using applications on the PC?
    Lochlomonder, thank you for your reply. Every time I press a key on my desktop, the response is slow. For instance, when I turn the desktop on and press Internet Explorer, it takes about 15 seconds to get to this site. Also, when I click on my Yahoo email, same thing. Many times, I enter something in the google search box to view, but the response is so slow, that I end up cancelling out the search, as it is frustrating as it takes so long. Many times too, the system seems to freeze. So, all in all, everything I click on, I would say takes about 15 seconds or longer for a response. Thanks again.

As mjc pointed out, sometimes web page functions can be slowed by problems with cache, etc.
    They can also be due to the web connection response itself.

crestwood,

Do you experience this slowness only with Internet-related programs, or does it affect others as well? For example, if you were going to open something like Microsoft Word, would this take ages to load as well?

I know you had an issue with terrible line speeds, but has that actually been resolved properly? Moreover, I know there was the issue with the dodgy e-mails purporting to be from Amazon, and you said you'd scanned your PC. I'm still concerned there may be lingering malware there. Not that it's my place to push work onto another, but it may be worthwhile working through the mechanics of a full malware check with mjc. I know he's extremely thorough, and may lead you to find something which, heretofore, has gone undiscovered.

If memory serves me well, you purchased your PC within the last few months and it has a decent specification for what you need. In that respect, it should not be running as woefully as you describe.

Lochlomonder, thank you for your reply.

Yes, the slowness is only when I am using the Internet and email and not Word Documents. I purchased the Acer 3450 desktop from CompUsa in November 2011. I did run Malwarebytes and Avast Anti-Virus and nothing suspect was found. I have received about five spam Amazon messages stating that my orders have been cancelled and after reporting them to Amazon, I have deleted them.

I started a thread on 4/23/2012 "Desktop very slow/gets hung up" which goes into more detail regarding phoning my ISP Provider, etc. Thanks again, and have a nice day.

crestwood,

I'll reacquaint myself with the other thread, and see if there's anything I can think of worth trying out

Thread Information