Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CDROM erratic

Post CDROM erratic

Dear Sirs or Madams,

Did I fry my mobo? My cpu? My power supply? You be the judge!

Recently overclocked to what I thought was a stable 810 from Athlon 750. Then my CDROM made short grinding noises, like gears not meshing when shifting in a car. That was followed by not recognizing that there was a disk in the drive although everything else (windows/bios) recognizes it as being there. Now I get those noises whenever I turn the computer on, pre-POST, as soon as the BIOS kicks in. The new CDROM does the same thing.

What I've tried that has had no effect:
    1.Reboot to DOS + CDROM support, the same problems occur though sporadic. Sometimes the CDROM disk is recognized, other times Abort/Retry/Fail.

2.Put on another (primary) IDE channel and shut down the secondary IDE channel. [Made sure the master/slave settings were correct]

3.Swapped CDROM drive with a new one.

4. Flashed back to different BIOS's. Reinstalled VIA drivers. Scanreg/fix registry.

So I figure I fried either the power supply, MB, or CPU.

What's your guess?

IN the meantime, I'm writing "I promise never to futz with FSB BIOS settings again" 100 times as punishment.

------------------
    KA7-100 (using beta RAID BIOS)
    Athlon 750
    Annihilator 2 (GeForce 2 GTS)
    SoundBlaster Live
    256/133 memory
    Striped pair IBM 15M/100
    Windows ME

Try this, start windows in safe mode (hit ctrl key right after POST, it may take few tries to hit the ctrl key at right time to get to the menu for safe mode, select "3" from the menu) and then go to control panel, system, device manager and delete the cd-rom, that will remove the drivers. Then shut down and start your pc again, see if get the same problem.

------------------
    RM
    RM

Thanks RM! I didn't want to get too involved with what I've already done, but that was one of things I did during a forced safe mode. I was surprised to see multiple drivers listed in Device Manager. I deleted them all and rebooted to no avail. What is strange now is that some of my disks will work all the time, some disks will work some of the time, and some won't work at all. This is consistent.

------------------
    Athlon 750
    SoundBlaster Live
    256/133 memory
    Striped pair IBM 15M/100
    Windows ME

How are setting the BIOS for cd-rom ? Is your BIOS detecting the cd-rom automatically or are you setting any parameters ? If everything else is working then my guess is your cpu and others are ok. Is dma enabled for cdrom ? Try disable dma. You probably tried it all, but double check.

------------------
    RM
    RM

Problem solved. Took the new replacement drive back for yet another drive and this one works fine. What's the chances of a new replacement being bad? Also, discovered that the disks I was using to test were faulty. Thanks again for your help.

------------------
    Athlon 750
    SoundBlaster Live
    256/133 memory
    Striped pair IBM 15M/100
    Windows ME

Thread Information