Last Updated on
Did you know you can integrate ChatGPT into Google’s cloud database software? With a simple text prompt (and a few clicks) you can generate Google spreadsheets and populate them with formulas and data! OpenAI’s AI chatbot is the perfect companion for your Google Sheets workflows. We guide you through the installations and show you how to get add-ons that turn GPT-4 into a data analysis wizard. Here’s how to use ChatGPT in Google Sheets.
Can I connect ChatGPT to Google Sheets?
Yes, it’s easy to use ChatGPT with Google Sheets (in addition to Google Docs or Google Slides). You can install GPT functions with add-ons into Google Drive, or the other way around – install Google Sheets plugins into ChatGPT.
Doing so may require an OpenAI API key. Using the ChatGPT API applies the functionality of ChatGPT into any other software, but comes at a usage-based cost. After registering, you’ll be given a new secret key associated with your OpenAI account. The API allows developers to integrate OpenAI’s suite of of machine learning models including GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 Turbo for text output, DALL-E for image generation, and Whisper for speech-to-text conversion.
Essential AI Tools
Winston AI detector
Originality AI detector
How to generate .xlsx and .csv files with ChatGPT
As well as editing and analyzing data, ChatGPT can create databases (via plugins).
To make .csv files via ChatGPT:
- Open ChatGPT via web browser (Google Chrome is ideal*), or via the mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Subscribe to ChatGPT Plus (or ChatGPT Enterprise) if you aren’t already.
- Ensure that ChatGPT is set to use GPT-4, not GPT-3.
- Install the Doc Maker A+ plugin from the ChatGPT plugin store.
- Enable that plugin, and disable any irrelevant plugins from your installed list.
- Ask ChatGPT to generate a CSV file that includes the database you want! This can include data pulled directly from the internet in real-time.
*Google Chrome is recommended because it has the widest variety of Extensions for ChatGPT and Google Drive integration.
What’s the difference between .xlsx and .xml file format?
“While XLS is a file format… XML is actually a markup language that is prominently used in web pages.”differencebetween.net
In other words, the contents of an XML file can be copied and pasted directly into any word processing software. It is a universal and open-source format. XLSX, by contrast, is a proprietary Microsoft format that can only be read by Microsoft Excel. To use ChatGPT with Google Sheets, you’ll be working with XML or CSV files.
What does CSV stand for?
CSV stands for Comma-Separated Values. Google support explains that “a CSV (comma-separated values) file is a text file that has a specific format which allows data to be saved in a table structured format.”
What does XML stand for?
XML stands for Extensible Markup Language. It’s a markup language used for the formatting of data, databases, and data-related applications.
How to use ChatGPT in Google Sheets
Using ChatGPT in Google Sheets will require installing a plugin (referred to as an “add-on” by Google). This is an extremely simple one-click process.
Here’s how to use ChatGPT with Google Sheets:
- First, sign into your Google Account and open Google Sheets.
- Navigate to Extensions > Add-ons > Get Add-ons.
- Install the Qualtir-published add-on called “GPT for Sheets™ Docs™ Slides™”, also called GPT Workspace for Google Chrome.
- Complete the additional setup.
- Use GPT “Tools” listed on the right-hand tab of your sheets extension!
This is ideal for summarization, translation, and extraction of data from a database. Classify your data types, and draw insights with the power of AI! Google Workspace marketplace hosts a variety of similar add-ons with AI chat interfaces, which can also extract data (with your permission through an apps script code).