Last Updated on
If you’re looking for a productivity boost, then try generating your presentations with AI! OpenAI’s artificial intelligence chatbot Chat GPT is the perfect companion for your Google Docs workflows. With the help of AI, you can create any number of slides with a single click. You’ll need to install a few (free) add-ons though, but we’ll guide you through that. Here’s how to use ChatGPT in Google Slides.
Can I connect ChatGPT to Google Slides?
Yes, you can integrate the GPT-4 into Google Slides (as well as Google Docs or Google Sheets). ChatGPT integration can mean installing add-ons into Google Drive, or the other way around – installing Google Slides plugins into ChatGPT.
Depending on which plugins or add-ons you choose, this can require an OpenAI API key. Using the OpenAI API adds the functionality of ChatGPT into any other software, and will be charged based on your usage. The API provides back-end access to OpenAI’s range of machine learning models including GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 Turbo for text output, DALL-E for image generation, and Whisper for speech-to-text conversion.
Essential AI Tools
Winston AI detector
Originality AI detector
How to generate .ppt and .pptx files with ChatGPT
ChatGPT can make Google Slides (as well as PowerPoint presentations) via plugins.
To make .pptx files with ChatGPT:
- Open ChatGPT via web browser (Google Chrome is recommended*), or via the mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Purchase a subscription to ChatGPT Plus (or ChatGPT Enterprise) if you aren’t already.
- Ensure that the active model is GPT-4.
- Install any plugin that can export PPTX files from the ChatGPT plugin store. We’ll be using Slide Maker, published by Level2Labs.
- Enable that plugin, and deselect any installed plugins that you wont be using for this next generation.
- Ask ChatGPT to make a PPTX file with whatever content you want! Specific the topic, design elements, and specific content. This can be a blank presentation if you so wish, but the integration of ChatGPT allows you to pull live information from the web. You can of course reformat that info with the natural language processing (NLP) capabilities of OpenAI’s ChatGPT.
*We recommend Google Chrome because it has the widest variety of Extensions for ChatGPT and Google Drive integration.
What’s the difference between .ppt and .pptx?
“The main difference between PPT and PPTX is that PPT file are saved to disc as binary files whereas PPTX files are saved in Office Open XML format.”fileformat.com
In other words, PPTX is a universal and open-source format. PPT, by contrast, is a proprietary Microsoft format that can only be read by Microsoft PowerPoint. To use ChatGPT with Google Slides, you’ll be working with PPTX files.
What does PPTX stand for?
PPTX stands for PowerPoint Open XML (Extensible Markup Language). It’s a file format for slide-based presentation documents, built on the open-source XML markup language.
How to use ChatGPT in Google Slides
There is a single plugin (or “add-on”, as Google calls it) that enables GPT functionality across all Google Drive applications – Docs, Slides, and Sheets! This brings the power of GPT LLM (large language model) to your slide deck. To access it, you’ll need to head to Google Workspace Marketplace, as explained below.
Here’s how to use ChatGPT with Google Slides:
- First, sign into your Google Account and open Google Slides.
- Head to Extensions > Add-ons > Get Add-ons.
- Download the add-on called “GPT for Sheets™ Docs™ Slides™”. Their marketplace thumbnail image, and website refer to it as GPT Workspace for Google Chrome.
- Complete the additional setup.
- Use GPT “Tools” listed on the right-hand tab of your presentation slides extension menu!
New Google Workspace apps for the creation of presentations are released frequently. If this one didn’t work for you (and we’re sure it will!), check back in the coming weeks for an alternative Google Workspace app.