Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: how do i connect 2 computers together on a network with different operating systems?

how do i connect 2 computers together on a network with different operating systems?

my 2 computers one computer is a windows 7 home premium.the other computer is a linux ubuntu version 11.10.now since both computers have different operating systems how do i connect the 2 computers together on a network?any help will be greatly apreciated.

nitro2001

TCP/IP is used for each.

Are you thinking about sharing files between both PCs? If so, you'll need to utilise Samba.

This explanation should be a decent start for getting Samba set up under Ubuntu.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

there are 2 things that i am very confused about.

1)most computers have only one ethernet port.i have never seen a computer with 2 ethernet ports.now one of the ways of networking 2 computers together is by running an ethernet crossover cable between the 2 computers.the thing is that if i connect the 2 computers together with an ethernet cable then how will i connect my modem to my computer?plus

2)i am having trouble downloading samba onto my linux computer.

any help will be greatly apreciated.

nitor2001

easiest networking:
    You can network each computer with a single Ethernet cable to a home router which acts as a switch device between the two PCs and the router also provides the Internet connection for both PCs via a single connection..

so basically if i connect both computers to a router that,s one of the ways to network 2 computers together.also after i connect both computers to the router how do i download samba to my linux computer?

also i might eventually share files & folders too but the main reason why i want to network 2 computers together is so that i can use the printer on my linux machine.(my dell laser printer is not compatible with linux).any help will be greatly apreciated.

nitro2001

What Dell printer?

Little hint...Dell doesn't make printers. They just sell them...with their name on them.

It's much easier the the other way around...using a Linux printer in Windows. Also, look to see if your printer happens to be supported in OS-X (Mac).
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

^ I think they're made by Lexmark.

My Dell 1720dn works fine on Linux.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

i have the same dell 1720dn printer but when i go to printer & try to download drivers for my printer my dell 1720dn is not listed there.how did you get your 1720dn to work?i don,t see the dell 1720dn listed there.i see some other dell printers listed there like the 1100 series but not the 1720dn.

in all the years that i have owned computers i have never networked 2 computers together before(i bought the 1720dn in aug 2007).any help will be greatly apreciated.

nitro2001.

From what I've read here, it seems as if the driver for the Dell M5200 will work for the 1720dn.

You might want to read this for installing Samba on Ubuntu.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Doesn't Ubuntu come with Samba already installed? Been awhile since I have used the standard version so I could be wrong...
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

^^ I'm not sure which driver I'm using, I'd have to go check. I think it's just a default PCL one though.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Thread Information