Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Upgrading to more Ram ?

Upgrading to more Ram ?

I know that I need more Ram, or so my Dad says because when I turn are corner in a game and it renders a new room or scene my hard drive goes crazy and my Dad says that I don't have enough memory so it is using too much of my Swap file for Memory and my hard drive obviously can't keep up.

So my system specs are below and right now I have 4 slots on my mobo PC3200. I have the 2 x 256MB in the their right now running in Dual Channel mode and 2 open slots. I was going to just get another Dual Channel set of 2x 512 of the exact same Ram and just fill up all the slots. But then I wondered how much impact the Dual Channel has on my performance.

Should I get the 2 x 512MB and have 4 slots full running Dual Channel
    Or
    Should I get a 1Gb stick and have 3 slots full running all single Channel mode.

Thanks a lot for you advice
    Davey
    Asus P4P800
    P4 2.6Ghz 800FSB HT Northwood
    2 x 80GB SATA Seagate Baracudda - Raid 0
    Gigabyte 6600 GT Turbo Force 128MB
    2x256MB PC3200 Corsair ValueSelect-Dual Channel
    2x512MB PC3200 Corsair XMS TwinX-Dual Channel
    Logetech X-620 6.1 Surround

3DMark05 = 3300

Get another Dual Channel set of 2x 512 of the exact same Ram and just fill up all the slots. One gig is probably the "sweet spot" for now and I would want to maintain the dual channel capability.
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Doesnt 2 different memory capacities effect the stability? i know you cant use different speeds, but i thought different sizes made some kind of bad effect, or am i worng?
    The more we learn - we learn how little we know

I learned that my pc of crap hp is on its deathbed,
    its death wish was that I give it a proper burial (I was thinking a sledge hammer and a carton box) He also asked me not to pull the plug, and when time comes - call HP, i said "sure" (thank god I crossed my fingers)

E8400
    4gb ocz gold series
    gigabyte x38-ds4
    ATI HD3800
    Canon 7D Canon 30D, and an arsenal of lenses

You bring up a good point that I forgot to mention. You would have to check the mobo manual for the exact information but with the Asus boards I've used you can mix but you have to do it right. Normally, the four DIMM slots will be two alternating colors. Let's use the Asus P5LD2 in my new Linux build as an example. The slots are alternating black and yellow in color. The first two slots are also "A1" and "A2" (one black, the next one yellow). The next two sots are "B1" and "B2" (one black, the next one yellow). For proper dual channel operation, the total size of the memory modules installed per channel must be the same. Like this: A1+A2=B1+B2. So I would need one 256MB stick and one 512MB stick per channel for my total of 1.5MB...which is what I have.

When in doubt, read the manual.

PCrasher, thanks for reminding me that I forgot something important.
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Yeah pop pop is right. Each "dual channel" is independent of the other. As long as the each channel has matching ram there shouldn't be any problems. The manual should have a diagram on how the ram should be installed.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Yea thanks I see that now it's just like Pop Pop's but mine is Black and Blue. I'm giong to go ahead and get the 2 x 512mb and make fill up the slots with dual channel and hope that it helps my performance.

Thanks a lot
    Davey

Thread Information