Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Wireless saying "Acquiring Network Address"

Wireless saying "Acquiring Network Address"

Here is the Problem..I could really use some help. I am connected to a wireless connection that has a network key, and I have made sure that the set up is correct in Network Authen, Data Encryp and Network key is the same. It did this when i first tried to connect 3 weeks ago, but when i adjusted the network auth to match the other computers it works, but they have had to reboot the modem this weekend and now it is saying I am connected for 7 mn but status says "Acquiring Network Address" and i am under the Manual set-up. I am using a computer that is using the wireless network and theirs seems to be connected the same set up as mine but it works. Anyone know how to make this work. I would really really appreciate it..I am so not knowledgeable with computers.

Now its being stupid

Ok, I could use some help, I finally got it to some how connect, yet to find out what I did to make that happen. But now it says it connected but wont recieve information. It says my connect Sent-Recieved it like 786-113. How do i get it to recieve more of the information? I dont know how to make it work, i had it for like a second and then it went off real quick. Anyone can you help me???

What sort of equipment is involved here? Do you have the possibility of connecting via cable, at least until you can make sure your network settings are correct?

Help us help you...

The more relevant info you can provide, the better.

Well here is what I know: I have a Dell Laptop computer with wireless card installed inside(I use internet at my home, but I am visiting my cousin in another town), Wireless router is Belkin Wireless G Router, and then Webstar modem. I think that it is with the router because at times my cousins computer wont connect. But my lap top will never connect. It is set up using the WPA-PSK, TKIP with network key. I have mine set up this way also, for his connection address. At times it will say that it is connected but will not allow me to connect to the internet. When I look at the connection status I am sending alot more information then I am recieveing. His activity while it is way more then mine is still lower on the receieving end. If there is more stuff you need to know then let me know, right now i am thinking it must be his router not connecting correctly because that others computers have difficulty often to. Thanks

For some reason I am still having a difficult time understanding what is going on here. Are you trying to use the same network address as your cousin? If so, it will not work if you are trying to connect at the same time. Is he using MAC address filtering on his router? If so, only he will be able to connect, until you add your MAC address to the access list. Does he have NAT enabled on his router? If not, only one computer will be able to connect at a time.

Check his computer's IP settings while he's connected to the Internet:
    Click Start -> Run and enter "cmd" in the box (without the quotes) and click OK. At the command line type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt . Then locate this text file on his C:\ drive, copy and paste it back to this thread.

Then we'll proceed with the next steps...

I am on and off all day, so if someone else wants to help out on this, please feel free...

I tried that on his computer, it didnt work. Him and his roomate both use wireless internet, so i know more then one can use the internet. I had been using the internet for the last 5 weeks with no difficulty. When I finally got everything set the same as his, it would work. But now, it bounces from either being connected but not recieving enough activity, to "acquiring network address". I figure it will just not work, and that must be something wrong with my computer. Thanks for trying to help, I wish that I knew more about computers that I could help describe more what is going on. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by JbabeKU View Post
    I tried that on his computer, it didnt work.
    Please be more specific. We are most likely dealing with an address issue, so you will somehow need to find out his IP address, or at the very least, the address of the wireless router (and the password so that you can check its configuration).

Thread Information