Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PC Reboots when clothes dryer or vacuum cleaner turns on!

Post PC Reboots when clothes dryer or vacuum cleaner turns on!

I just finished building a computer that works very well except for the fact that it reboots and runs Scandisc when I turn on the clothes dryer or vacuum sweeper in the house. Here are the system specs:

Inwin Q600 full tower case with Powerman 300 watt.
    Asus A7V motherboard.
    Alpha 6035 heatsink and Sunon fan.
    AMD Duron 600mhz L1 bridges reconnected with silver pen.
    Mitsumi floppy.
    Pioneer A05S 16X DVD.
    Western Digital 7200 rpm 20.5 gb.
    Diamond Monster MX400.
    Inno3D Geforce 2 MX with tv out, heatsink and fan.
    Four Sunon case fans.
    Windows ME.

I do not believe heat is the problem, Asus probe shows the Cpu running at 106F, the case and cards all feel cool, all fans are operating. I have checked all wire and cable connections. Any ideas on this very strange situation would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Sounds like it needs to be plugged into a different circuit. Clothes dryer and vacuuum both draw a pretty good load, and it's robbing the power needed to run the computer. When the power drops, the computer shuts down.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Originally posted by blinn:
    I just finished building a computer that works very well except for the fact that it reboots and runs Scandisc when I turn on the clothes dryer or vacuum sweeper in the house. Here are the system specs:

Inwin Q600 full tower case with Powerman 300 watt.
    Asus A7V motherboard.
    Alpha 6035 heatsink and Sunon fan.
    AMD Duron 600mhz L1 bridges reconnected with silver pen.
    Mitsumi floppy.
    Pioneer A05S 16X DVD.
    Western Digital 7200 rpm 20.5 gb.
    Diamond Monster MX400.
    Inno3D Geforce 2 MX with tv out, heatsink and fan.
    Four Sunon case fans.
    Windows ME.

I do not believe heat is the problem, Asus probe shows the Cpu running at 106F, the case and cards all feel cool, all fans are operating. I have checked all wire and cable connections. Any ideas on this very strange situation would be appreciated.
    I dont know how American Power systems work, but it looks like to me that the main fuse for your power circuit in your house is shooting off whenever you turn on an additional device over the vacum cleaner or clothes driyer.
    i sugest that u call the electrician so that he can put the power outlet where u plug ur computer to either connect it to a different circuit or to replace the main fuse for one that will cope with your electric appliances.

Hope this may help you!

^_^

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick reply Paleo Pete and teknicat. I installed a new breaker in the panel and ran a new circuit to the computer and that fixed the problem. I seriously underestimated the anount of power the new computer draws. I might have to rethink my general policy of leaving the computer on.

Barry

Lightbulb

Barry it sounded like you were pulling a halloweener on us with that ghost in the wall (electrical problem) story
    Just a thought...with these newer {post apocalyptic } computers it is OK to shut them down. I know it was common practice to leave them on back in the day, but it is better now anyways to get that fresh boot.

------------------
    Jerry

Smile

Jerry, I agree the electrical problem did sound comical, but it was not very funny when I was dealing with it! All is well now.

Thread Information