Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Does anyone know hot to........

Post Does anyone know hot to........

Does anyone here know how to fix a cd rom drive after a failed flash firmware upgarde? I recently attempted to update my old 16x (Gold Star) Cd Rom drive's firm ware in dos mode. While attempting this my computer froze and now the drive does not seem to be working at all. The only way I even know that it's on is that the LED is constantly on. After the failed attempt I tried to reboot in dos mode again and install the update but there was no cd rom drive detected. Anyway any comments are welcome

Thanks,
    ditmx6

OK.....this is what I was needing, you may be able to rescue the drive if you can find the firmware in bin format, and the drive has a Mediatek chipset...but I did a little looking and couln't find which chipset it has nor could I find the firmware anywhere. There exists a brute force flasher for the Mediatek chipset that makes it possible to recover from most bad flashes....

Also some drives have an extra series of jumpers that will let the DOS flash program work.....they would be located near the power connection or by the M/S/CS jumper.

Thirdly I really wouldn't spend too much time on the drive, because you can get a decent reader fairly cheap these days.....like a 32x from here $16 (+ s&h)

------------------
    mjc
    Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!

mjc,

Is it one of the Gold Star HERE?

------------------
    May all your dealings in life be win/win!

Whyzman

----------------------
    Reserved for Punishing Humor...A Pessimist's blood is always B-negative!
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Hi mjc. It's good to hear from you again. You were right about the other problem I had with my hard drives not being detected in the bios. It was a bad IDE cable and they are both working fine now. I'm realy not sure what kind of chipset my cd drive has since I don't have the manual for it. I'm also not familiar with the bin format either. Does it stand for binary? Also do you have a link to that brute force flasher? I might as well give it a shot since the drive doesn't work as it is now anyways. And thanks for the link to the cd drive site. If nothing works I'll probably end up buying a new one.

Take care,
    ditmx6

Thread Information