Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Philips Expanium MP3 Player question

Post Philips Expanium MP3 Player question

I just got my Philips Expanium portable mp3/cd player, with car kit. I like it, but my mp3 files are being split into multiple tracks when being read by the player. I'm using long file names. Anyone? Bueller? Thanks!

Lightbulb

Don't really know anything about this product, but go here, maybe they have a FAQ or a forum to help you.

------------------
    iisbob
    "Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run."
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

The answer Philips gave me is: "The reason the EXP103 will only play part of the song is because you are using an incompatible burning format to create the MP3 disc. It is likely that you are using DirectCD or other software that uses a format called Packet Writing. With Packet Writing, files are broken up as needed and the pieces stored on the disc in the first available free space. Any portion of the disc is then accessed randomly as needed. This is why it is skipping to different songs (part of the data for the song is stored in one spot on the CD while the rest is stored somewhere else) and without the proper software, the player doesn't realize it. DirectCD is not a standard; it is proprietary Adaptec technology. A computer can't even read a DirectCD disc unless DirectCD or the simple UDF drivers are installed. The problem isn't likely to be the eXpanium. It can only be fixed when you burn their disc again with EasyCD creator or other software that is compliant to the ISO9660 format. Please try to use another burning program that does not use Packet Writing to correct the problem. We are not able to recommend any burning software so you will probably want to do a search on the internet for compatible software programs."

If I ever get my cd drive to work (ref my posts in other areas here), I'll be using Nero to burn so I'll try that and post the results here.

Lightbulb

Now i use easyCD5, and i have used Nero, both are good-i prefer easyCD tho. For burning music cd's i use Musicmatch jukebox-it's a great mp3/cd player , it's free and it includes a burning program specifically to decode mp3's to wav format for audio cd's.
    As for the Direct CD they're talking about, they are correct in it being a packetwriting software but that should only start up if you insert a cd-rw; have your been using a cd-rw to create your mp3's? if so, very few players will recognize that type of media-burn your songs onto a standard cd-r, finalize and close it( MMJ will do that for you, as well as let you create a playlist before you burn). Matter of fact easyCD and Nero will both do that if you choose the option to burn an audio cd, EasyCD5 now has an option just for burning mp3 cd's.
    Maybe this'll help a little.

------------------
    iisbob
    "Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run."
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

Thread Information