Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Modem Download Speed

Question Modem Download Speed

Why am I consistently getting a max of 4.8 K/s with my 56K Modem, when it should be 7.2, should it not?

I'm connected to a BT telephone line in London and using Win98.

Newton's Cat

Question

Right. I've had a look through the Modem FAQ's here. I was getting 3.3 K/s from my 33.6 - which is 26400? Now I'm getting 4.8 K/s from my 57.6 - which is 38400?

Hmm - I must look into this a bit more.

Newton's Cat

Blog Entries

Download speeds are seriously affected by phone line quality, time of day and the related use load, and server speed and load. Also by the type of your modem. Hardware based modems consistently get better connection and download speeds than Winmodems or hsf (is that right? hfs? sfh? fsh? crap?) types, since those use your system resources instead of a processor on the card to do the work.

Try unplugging all phones and answering machines from the modem line and see if it does better.

Check around, run a search on the Internet for modem speeds or modem optimization, and maybe you can dig up a site with instructions on speeding up your connection, which mihgt speed up download speeds too.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I found I got better download times using a modem line constructed just for internet usage. I put in a Belkin high speed line that can be got at OfficeMax for about $10. It helped me out abit especially when playing online games that have alot of lag.

Question

I just noticed that the 'Connection Speed' lists:

Does this mean that if I can't connect at 57600 I'll never get above 38400?

Can I doctor the .inf file?

Newton's Cat

Thread Information