Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Network problems.

Angry Network problems.

I am having some problems.. I name both my computer workgroups to SINSTER. But however they can 't find each other on the network. If I change Win2k Machine to read WORKGROUP my Win98 machine finds my Win2k machine. But my Win2k machine doesn't find my Win98 machine. Also I have been getting this error

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1005
    Date: 7/3/2001
    Time: 8:57:16 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: JNAB
    Description:
    Your computer has detected that the IP address 1.0.0.1 for the Network Card with network address FFFFFF000000 is already in use on the network. Your computer will automatically attempt to obtain a different address.

and this error

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Server
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2504
    Date: 7/3/2001
    Time: 8:57:22 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: JNAB
    Description:
    The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CB02698B-1263-45A5-9378-A877C851FC6E}.
    Data:
    0000: aa 05 00 00 ...

I also put in a default gateway (router) 192.168.1.1
    on both machines. But still nothing is happening.

I am running two machine through a Linksys router

Ok first the error :

Your computer has detected that the IP address 1.0.0.1 for the Network Card with network address FFFFFF000000 is already in use on the network. Your computer will automatically attempt to obtain a different address.

Means that both computers have the same IP address and the second one is trying to contact a DHCP server to get a new IP address. To fix this simply assign a new and different IP address to one of the computers.

The second error :

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CB02698B-1263-45A5-9378-A877C851FC6E

Means that the computer isn't loading the server onto the netbios part of the TCP/IP stack.( Windows computers need netbios in order to see each other in a workgroup. Netbios can be ran over the protocols Netbui or TCP/IP. If the server doesn't load or startup you won't be able to connect to that computer from another one.)

Fixing the first error will get rid of the second.

One other thing if the IP address of the two computer are something like "1.0.0.X" and the gateway is setup for "192.168.1.1". Then the compters won't be able to talk to the gateway. ( The gateway is needed whenever the computers must talk to another computer that isn't on the same network segment. Therefore the computers must be on the same network as the gateway in order for them to use it.) Here's how I would set them up.

first computer
    IP address- 192.168.1.2
    Subnet mask- 255.255.255.0
    Gateway- 192.168.1.1

second computer
    IP address- 192.168.1.3
    Subnet mask- 255.255.255.0
    Gateway- 192.168.1.1

Good luck

------------------
    Comment heard from a Klingon programmer.

"Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!"

[This message has been edited by Ghost_Hacker (edited 07-04-2001).]
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Thumbs up

excellent!! GH

I was going to answer this one, but waited.. actually it turns out that my first answer was the same as yours.. so I was correct..hehe

guess you do learn things here!!

(I sure didn't know that when I first arrived to this site)

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

~

Hey...you should have jumped right in with the answer.

It would have saved me some typing

------------------
    Comment heard from a Klingon programmer.

"Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!"
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Thread Information