Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Lost partitions on Hard drive

Angry Lost partitions on Hard drive

I lost the partitions on my hard drive!! I have a Maxtor 20 gig hard drive which I have been using in my computer for about 8 months. I partitioned and formatted the drive using the Maxblast Plus software. I then installed Windows 98. Fast forward to this past Monday. I turned my computer on then I got this message "Verifying DMI Pool Data, Disk Boot failure, Insert System Disk and press enter. I ran the diagnostic software PowerMax.exe that came with the hard drive. The report came back that I have no partitions on the hard drive. I know for a fact that I partitioned and formatted my drive. Basic stuff (well sorta). Can anyone explain what is going here!! I am praying that I do not have to format and partition again. I have my life on my hard drive!!! I know, I know always back up your stuff!!! Is the Maxblast Plus software not reliable?

Blog Entries

Fixing the Master Boot Record may be in order.

Boot to a command prompt using the [F8] key or hold down [Ctrl] while booting. Choose Command Prompt Only. If that doesn't work, use a Windows Start Up disk. At the command prompt type

fdisk_/mbr

using a space in place of the underscore ( _ ) used here. Nothing will appear to happen, and after a few seconds you'll either get another command prompt, or a message saying fdisk couldn't access the drive.

If you get the "couldn't access" message, you'll have to repartition the drive, or possibly use a program like Partiton Magic.

A couple things I'm curious about:

Did you install any new software or hardware? Was any recently installed software downloaded off the internet?

Have you gotten any emails from unfamiliar sources with attachments?

The reason is, sometimes when you suddenly lose partitions it's the result of a virus. I would say boot the computer with an emergency boot disk that came with or was made for your virus scanner and see if it comes up with anything. Then try the fdisk /mbr route.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I read your reply Paleo Pete. I have recently downloaded some software-but from sources that I considered safe e.g the CNET download site. I have been receiving emails from friends with attachments. Maybe their sending out attachments with virus. I have a virus scanner though. Wouldn't it pick it up?

Talking

Paleo Pete,
    I just wanted to let you know I did what you suggested and fdisk_/mbr worked like a charm. My hard drive is back in business!!!
    All I can say is -I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cynthia

Originally posted by NewBritG44:
    I read your reply Paleo Pete. I have recently downloaded some software-but from sources that I considered safe e.g the CNET download site. I have been receiving emails from friends with attachments. Maybe their sending out attachments with virus. I have a virus scanner though. Wouldn't it pick it up?

Blog Entries

Great, glad you got it working...

Now, what was the last thing you installed? It definitely should not be installed again!

Some things will do this, I've seen it several times. Had to walk my sister through it over the phone long distance a few months ago after she installed a game, rebooted and got nothing but a black screen. Scanreg took care of that one...

In the future, try to make sure any software you install specifcally states that it is compatible with your operating system. Sometimes even then, it will cause problems, but now you know where to go for help.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information