Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Memory discrepency

Post Memory discrepency

Toshiba 3000-214 Windows XP

A mate just bought the above and was surprised to find that System Information showed total memory as 128 MB, when it was supposed to be 256MB. The shop assistant apparently explained the discrepency thus: "System information is an old utility which MS has never bothered to update." Does that make sense? How else could this discrepency be explained?

I checked and found two 128MB modules fitted, with BIOS showing 640 KB and 255 MB.

------------------
    Our minds never work so fast as when they have to find an excuse J.L.H. Thomas

Windows XP should display the correct amount of installed memory

Check the system properties ( Right click My Computer ) then Properties.
    it should show the correct 256meg of installed ram.

Also System Information should be showing the correct amount
    “Total Physical Memory” as 256mb

If it is not then windows is not recognizing the memory

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-04-2002).]

<<Check the system properties ( Right click My Computer ) then Properties.
    it should show the correct 256meg of installed ram.

Also System Information should be showing the correct amount
    “Total Physical Memory” as 256mb>>

Thanks Rick. Properties shows the "correct" 256 MB installed, but Total Physical Memory in System Information shows only 128 MB. Who is lying?

------------------

Smile

The info on the system control panel is gleaned from the same data base that the true system information utiltiy ( usually found here -C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo ) uses; however they are two difernt items.

Your system properties is a *.cpl file ( control panel applet ) whereas the system info utility is a true *.exe program ( msinfo32.exe ) and gives you a complete run down of the system ( hardware/software,etc.. ).

When it boots, do you see a memory check? Does it display all 256 MB's of the memory? Before window's loads?

"System information is an old utility which MS has never bothered to update."
    Tell that tech to find another job! what an Idiot!

Since XP is a new compiled version of the NT code, what makes him think that the msifo32.exe didn't also get updated??!! Moron.

All you have to do is check the file date and see that it's the same compile date as the other system files.

The Xp version of msinfo32.exe replaces the old NT diagnostic's version ( called WINMSD.EXE ) -this is also true of 2000, it also replaces the { WINMSD.EXE } with msinfo32.exe

My guess is tht you've got a corupted version of msinfo32.exe and i would suggest replacing it with a " fresh " one from the CD.

By the way, when he opens task manager, does it show the correct amount of memory? ( look in the physical memory section /total ).

If so, i wouldn't worry about it. As long as the system knows it has the correct amount of memory-i wouldn't be too concerned about one unecessary file not knowing it.

------------------
    iisbob

Computer-Show me the Enterprise; no bloody A, no bloody B, and no bloody C-just the original...Mr Scott { from a STNG episode }
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

That is a good question..
    Was the operating system installed with only 128 meg installed?

You may need to force windows to look for new hardware.( Add new hardware in control panel)
    and with luck it should pickup on the added memory.

Hi iisbob and Rick: Belarc reported 256 MB, but Pcpitstop came up with this:
    “The SMBIOS is reporting that there is only 128 MB of RAM but Windows reports that 255 MB is available. Generally this indicates a SMBIOS problem. . . SMBIOS results can be incorrect even if the POST detects all of your installed RAM. If Windows and the POST report the same amount of RAM it is not necessary to fix the SMBIOS since most software relies on the Windows report. . . The system has 255 MB of memory available for windows. . .”

Well, that seems to clinch it – and I think I shall leave well alone.

------------------

I have had a lot of trouble getting AOL version 7 to work with Windows XP and Zone Alarm. However, eventually had to uninstall Zone Alarm altogether since it seemed to interfere on High, Medium and Low Security settings.
    Not too happy to have a mate indulge in unprotected surfing. Any bright ideas?

Rick In answer to your question: The 256MB was original and not an upgrade.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Pianorak (edited 05-05-2002).]

Thread Information