Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows 98 - Password Login

Unhappy Windows 98 - Password Login

Quick question on Windows 98 Password Login box at startup of computer. I do not have a network computer yet I can't get rid of this dialog box prompting me to enter my user name and password at startup. What did I do wrong during installation?

Jim

------------------
    Jim
    Jim

To remove it, go to the Control Panel | Passwords | Change Passwords tab | Change Windows Password button. Type in your password and tab to the New Password box. Press Enter so that no password is entered. A dialog box will tell you that your password has been changed. Click OK.
    Your Windows dialog box is now history.

another way to do this is to do a search on your hard drive for *.pwl, and then deleted the one that has your windows username, then log off and log back on again with no password entered, and from then on it will not ask for password. This is also the fix for when your passwords won't save for things like interent connections, and other stuff.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

Smile

Thanks to both of you, Dan and Joe, for solving my Password Login Box problem. I did what you said and it worked. Jim

------------------
    Jim
    Jim

Thread Information