Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: no operating system, reinstall get FAT error

Red face no operating system, reinstall get FAT error

My friend lost their operating system. When trying to reinstalling Windows 95, get some type of FAT file error. Cannot load operating system. Is there anyway to recover? Also, are we able to recover work files from before operating system was lost? Thanks@ bjt27027@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by bjt (edited 11-17-2000).]

Blog Entries

If the drive has not yet been formatted you might be able to get the files back, but it's not going to be a piece of cake unless you know your way around in DOS.

What you'll have to do is boot to a start up disk, find the files in DOS, and copy them to floppies, if they fit on floppies. Describing the whole process will be a long post, if you need instructions let me know, and I'll do some typing.

I thought maybe replacing the registry would work, but if the FAT is corrupt, maybe not...

Boot to a start up disk for your OS, at the A:\> prompt type:
    fdisk_/mbr
    using a space in place of the underscore ( _ ). It will seem like nothing is happeneing, but after a few seconds another A:\> prompt will appear. Reboot, and see if you can read the disk.

If you're running windows 98 it has a utility called scanreg that will repair the registry, or replace it. At the A:\> prompt type:
    scanreg_/restore
    This only works in win 98, since win 95 didn't have this utility. I've been told you can use it if you transfer it from a win98 machine, but that would imply already having it on the machine.

If you're running win95, you'll have to rename some files to replace the registry, and might actually be able to get windows back, instead of having to reinstall.

If you do have to reinstall:

Hard Disk Partitioning and Formatting Procedure

Quick Guide to a Windows Fresh Start

Let us know what version of windows you're running, we'll try to fix it instead of having to reinstall, if it's possible. Replacing the registry might do it, but if it's win95, I'll have to do a bit more typing...and you'll have to do some digging in DOS.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

They use Win 98. I was able to boot to dos. Could not see a C drive. Would not change directories. Put in the boot disk and started to install Win 95 just to see what would happen. When it checked the C drive, came up saying it was not partioned, etc. That it was empty had nothing on it. We did not continue as they are hoping to recover files they had lost. They are taking it in on Monday.

What would have caused this loss to the C drive. Since it could check it, must not be a hardware problem. Did someone format it? Could a virus have done this? (One year old computer from Quantex-who doesn't answer their phone)

We are curious as they had a babysitter this summer that got on x rated sites when they asked her not too. Had opend up attachments on email, - pictures We are wondering if she tried to erase the evidence somehow.

Thanks for the help. I am so glad to know this site is available as something always seems to come up.

[This message has been edited by bjt (edited 11-18-2000).]

Blog Entries

Try booting to a McAffee or Norton Emergency disk, if you have a virus it might find it.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information