Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: win nt 4.0 server

Post win nt 4.0 server

I'm trying to install NT in a brand new HD. " windows set up needs to know where the NT files are located. Enter the path." So I writte down the leter of the drive, but nothing happen.

Blog Entries

I think that would be the entire path, including folder name.

C:\foldername would be the syntax. If you need to point to a file also, C:\foldername\filename should do it. Use the proper drive letter...

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I belive it wants to know where the /i386 directory is. Choose the path to your CD. (example R:/i386) Your CD-rom drive letter should be the default.

Good luck

Thanks Paulo & Skada

My CDRom letter is G. G:\I386 \enter

"Setup was unable to install Windows NT Boot Loader.
    Ensure that C drive is formated and thhat the drive is not damage."

First of all. I don't want to install NT in C drive, because I have Win ME in it. I want to install it in D rive which I already formated it and has FAT 16, and extended DOS partition.What should I do?

Waitting for some help

If you want to dual boot NT, 2000, and ME then your C drive(system partition ) must be formatted in Fat16. Fat32 is not supported by NT.( it is supported by Windows 2000 however.)

The "startup" files must always reside on the C drive or System partition. But you can install NT and 2000's "boot" files (IE: their directories) to any partition/drive you want. The installer will give you that option later.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 01-17-2001).]

Thanks Scada
    Drive D is in another HD. There is any way to install it in Drive D. Wnindows ME was installed in PC so I dont have the Disk.
    Why does the set up looks in C any way?
    Thanks

The C drive is the active partition or in microsoft speak the "system partition". All Windows operating systems will want to place their startup files there.

Since you don't have the ME install cd you'll have to use Bootmagic or some other 3rd party boot manager to solve this problem (Without the cd I would not recommend Partition magic or someother partition tool). So to install NT,2000 you'll have to remove the "C" drive with ME on it. Install NT and 2000 on the new drive ( the blank drive will now be the "C" drive). Then once they have been installed. Place the hard drives back in their orginal configuration and install Bootmagic to any partition that is not greater than 7.8GB in size. You should then have the option to boot to any OS on your 2 hard drives.

I would get the latest version of Bootmagic which supports 2000 and ME. I'm not sure if older versions will work with those operating systems. Someone else may have more info on that.

Also if there are any Linux experts here they may be able to tell you how to use LILO to dual boot without install Linux. ( maybe using a linux boot floppy??I'm new to linux so I'm not really sure this can be done and it may turn out to be more trouble then it's worth.)

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 01-17-2001).]

Blog Entries

Thanks scada. I knew how the path should be written, but not what the filename it was looking for might be.

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information