Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Two beeps at Win98 screen

Angry Two beeps at Win98 screen

I've a 3 year old Compaq Presario 5700n with W98se - and have added a partition to dual-boot with W2K. Win98 was preloaded so no disks, only Compaqs QuickRestore CD's. W2K works fine, w98 doesn't! When booting up, it reaches the Win98 screen and in a few seconds will freeze and I get two short beeps. Then I can only restart to safe-mode.
    The kids had added a game but I uninstalled it, don't think that was the problem though. Compaq had me remove the display adapter in Device Manager - "it would reinstall on restart" - not in safemode it wont! No display adapter, no CDROM access in safemode, and no printer.
    What should I look for? I can get to the various start-ups, just not normal, but what then? Can't find any relevant beep code advice. Whats my next step?
    thanx,

You should be able to bypass the logo while booting by hitting the <esc> key when the logo pops up, this will allow you to see any error messages that are there...

Or you can change the logo in the MSDOS.sys file...it is a hidden, read only system file, so you will need to change the properties before you can edit it, so make sure you are set to "show all files" (Explorer -> View -> Folder Options -> View -> "show all files"). Back it up first, then open it in notepad, scroll down to the line logo.sys=1 and change the 1 to a 0 (zero), save it and reboot. The logo will be gone and you will now be able to see any error messages.

------------------
    mjc
    Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

Please Post Questions in the forums, not my email. Thanks
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information