Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: microsoft internet explorer

Post microsoft internet explorer

i just got my son online but everytime we try to d/l something it times out i called the isp and there was no problem there. it gets to about 14% then it times out, what could be the problem

Almost anything. But usually it's just The Way The Net Is. Did you try it again at another time? Does this happen when you download from any site or just the one? Have you tried a different browser?
    Please give us some more details and we can help you better.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

i have tried it all the time i even reformated the drive and it still didnt help and it does it when i download from any site and yes i tried netscape also and it happens he has a Pentium 200 chip, 32 megs of ram and a 6.4 hard drive i have been working on it for the past 2 days trying to resolve the problem but to no avail

Originally posted by ixl:
    Almost anything. But usually it's just The Way The Net Is. Did you try it again at another time? Does this happen when you download from any site or just the one? Have you tried a different browser?
    Please give us some more details and we can help you better.

Blog Entries

This could be related to phone line conditions, and not your machine. Do you get slow connection speeds? Do you notice noise or static in the phone line if you use it for a telephone? What is the download rate? I usually get fairly slow download rates here, and NEVER get above a 31,200 internet connection, even with a 56K modem. I don't even think about downloading after a rain, since the phone lines get wet and I'm lucky if I can connect at all.

Check the modem properties, and see what it's configured for. Go to Start\Settings\Control Panel\Modems, highlight the modem and click Properties and see what the Maximum Speed setting is (under the General tab.) If it's 9600 baud, which is often default, set it at least to the speed of your modem. This controls the rate at which the modem communicates with the computer, not the Internet connection speed, by the way. It still will sometimes cause trouble in other areas.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information